Is volvo s40 matinees expensive?

70

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM about the 2011 Volvo S40 T5

I currently drive a 2003 Volkswagen
beetle diesel.... So I am use to hi
repairs for cars new breaks cost me
$300 and a fuel injector pump cost
me $800 and a basic oil change cost
me $90 these are just a few minor
things that I have had to replace
within the past 8mo anyways I've
been looking at the
2008-2011 volvo s40 I want to know
if anyone as experienced problems
with this model if so could you
please share? I'm really interested In
this car and I know that volvo's are
safe and they last a long time so can
anyone tell me if matinees is
expensive on this car? Thank you

this isn't probably representative of today's Volvo, but the '71 240 GL I had was laden with electrical problems...had a recall on the main engine harness and many caught fire took the time to replace the main engine harness, the headgasket...and it was still a non desirable buggy, the other 1989 240 ran okay with a new MAF but was a previously savaged swimmer- lots of cheap plastic that degrades~

70

@bob_nueske I've herd that quite a few other volvo's have had some problems but I've also herd that the s40 on the other hand hasn't had quite as many problems as the past generation volvo models have

70

I just wanted to see if this was true?

You know, this is a generation ago...yes...let's give it the old college try, why not. I certainly have much more faith in the Volvo then any of the chinese/korean efforts---yessss..do it babe, yeah!-(figured you'd appreciate that [california twist] on there)...I'm actually from Milwaukee, but ain't goin' back.

70

Lol thanks but I actually don't live in Cali anymore I live in Washington state and since it rains the shit out of this place the roads are always wet! So I figured I needed a safe car going back and forward to school! I just didn't know if the s40 would be a good choice

hey, my dad wants me to go live down in LA, but if it was San Diego, he might have a chance- instead I'm stuck with probably the poorest city, clearlake--You know, shop for an S40, yahoo has a shop for cars section, that's how I found the MINI that I drive! would give you a feel for what they go for!

...had a fantasy of collecting waste oil from donut shops, putting it into my car and drivin' on it for free....but in reality is not that easy---actual bio-diesel isn't too easy to manufacture..check out Willie Nelson's book explains it all in detail...course in Berlkeley they accomplish this with pre-heaters on the oil injection---leads to a french-fry scented exhaust-

27,145

Californiaman15...I actually owned a 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i (non- turbo version) and I can tell you that the car was very reliable, has excellent build quality, and handles like a real sports sedan should. I bought it in 2008 with 8k milles and kept her till 2012, which is when my parents bought it from me @ 36k miles (If it was a problem car, I wouldn't have sold it to them). All I did was routine maintenance...they ONLY thing to take note of is that the Cabin Air Filter is located in an odd place in engine bay that requires removal of the brake/accelerator pedals...this cost me $80, BUT this type of filter is NOT replaced very often at all). I recommend the car and would suggest the T5 turbo version, if you want more HP. The non- turbo 2.4 L 5 cylinder version was around 168 HP. 200+ for T5.

765

I have a 2000 S40 and its been one of the best cars I have ever owned. The paint still looks like new (See Picture), runs great, no problems with it at all. In the past few year, like anything old, I had had to replace a few items (Struts, Motor Mounts, Axel, etc) but that just maintenance that comes with owning a 13.5 year old car. I have 140,000 miles. I know this is not the model you are looking for but Volvos in general are safe, reliable, and do great in weather conditions such as rain/snow. There is a "Winter Mode" and "Sport Mode". Went to Lake Tahoe a few years back and it did extremely well. This was my 1st Volvo and because of this car now own another Volvo.

70

@Racer_x if I want a t5 turbo would that be Considered the "R" version? I don't want the "R" I do want a t5 though but I didn't know that came in a turbo t5 or is that way the "T" in "t5" stands for? I'm sorry so many questions know nothing about volvo's :/

70

@venom5150 so generally how long do volvo's last I know I can get 300,000 out of my Diesel bug easily

27,145

@Californiaman.....The "T" in T5 does stand for Turbo and the "R" version comes with same Turbo, just amped up with styling differences: The Volvo S40 compact sport sedan is available in two trim levels -- T5 and T5 R-Design. Both are front-wheel drive and powered by a turbocharged 227-horsepower 2.5-liter five- cylinder. A five-speed automatic is the sole transmission. Standard feature highlights include a sport suspension, a telescoping steering wheel with auxiliary audio controls, a sunroof, Bluetooth and a six- CD changer with satellite radio, HD radio and iPod control. The "R- Design" adds sporty exterior and interior styling cues. Options include leather seating, heated seats, a navigation system and a 12-speaker premium sound system. Check this out for more info. as certain model years had a more potent turbo and had an available manual transmission as well: http://www.edmunds.com/volvo/s40/ Here's a pic of my previous '06 Volvo S40, now proudly sitting in my parent's driveway....Mom drives her now :)

I Agree Volvo can be a great car if you can afford to maintain the car owner of 03 Volvo s40 head gasket went.