What are the Service & Repair Costs for 1993 Cadillac Allante?

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM about the 1993 Cadillac Allante Base Convertible

Considring the purchase of a '93 Allante. What are service and repair costs if compared to
a Corvette of the same vintage?

17,470

Very expensive. Everything on that car is. 1993 was the last year for the car and it had a 4.6 liter Northstar engine in it. (1987-92 did not) When that engine got older with miles on it they leaked and burned oil. Parts are still available but are hard to find. The car is very cool and a nice driver but you have to be very mechanicaly inclined or have deep pockets to up keep it. My choice is get a convertible corvette.

83,525

I agree, go with the vette.

8,125

It is probably much easier to find vette parts and a mechanic familiar with them. Allante's were a limited production car - over 20 years ago. Only about 20,000 or so were built during the entire production run. That being said, they are not particularly difficult or expensive to maintain. The potential expensive part is when something goes wrong with the electronics. They were far more advanced than other cars of that time period. Only a few places have an abundant supply of parts and expertise on these cars. The two main ones are in Florida and New Jersey. Other than that, engine, brakes, etc are no more than any other car.

17,470

I'm going to disagree with bobkat. My father has had 5 of them and I did most of the work to maintain them. The engine is an expensive P.O.S. to work on. The starter in under the intake. Talk about a pain in the butt when it could be a 20 min job. They ARE expensive and difficult to maintain. Parts other than drivetrain are no longer available from Cadillac. Anything plastic or with the Cadillac badging is internet, EBay or junkyard finds. I've talked to Dick at allantesource.com more times than I've wanted to. Ordered parts WAY more than I wanted to from him. They are an electrical nightmare. Now that being said, they are a fun, great looking and driving car. Oh, the top even though it says power top is not. Just the front bow where it attaches to the top of the windshield is "power". The rest of the top going up and down is all manual and a bit of a challenge even when all the parts work well. If you like to tinker with your cars and like I said earlier are mechanically inclined this is a fun car. You want to put the key in and drive without the headaches buy a Vette.

8,125

Your point is well taken. I personally did not have much issue with mine - however, there are certainly many horror stories out there. I always went to Dick's shop (about 2 hour drive) so I probably did not encounter some of the issues that you did. And yes, about the only thing power about the top is the latches. We changed to an SL550 rather than the vette because the wife wanted a smoother more luxurious ride.

17,470

How long ago did you have yours? We are in northern Illinois the winter weather is a little different here than in Florida, LOL