MOLDED TOP COVER WILL NOT STAY UP IN LOCK POSITION WHEN RAISED.

Asked by Jul 09, 2013 at 10:40 AM about the 1993 Cadillac Allante FWD

WHEN RAISING OR LOWERING THE TOP THE BOOT COVER OR MOLDED TOP COVER WILL NOT STAY LOCKED UPRIGHT.  I SUPPOSE IT IS IN THE HINGE TENSION, BUT NOT SURE.    APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS PROBLEM.  THANKS ,   HGL

Please write in lower case. I for one, have difficulty reading it and it's like being yelled at. Now, I was be happy to look in to that for you. You are not alone on that, in some forums I looked at, Caddy Enthusiasts discuss that issue at: http://www.consumerguide.com/cadillac/allante/used/ and found this: Convertible top: Numerous problems with convertible tops including: will not latch properly due to problems with strikers. I am still trying to fin what "strikers" are. Will look more.

now H25, don't you know that some people like to communicate through their pack-of-cigarette sized interface~ comprimizing their ability, have trouble getting YELLED AT myself~

lubricate the joints with tri-flow or a good penetrating lubricant...this will help~

265

The cover is held up by gas pistons. The pistons have lost some/all of the gas, or no longer seal. They need to be replaced. The pistons are readily available and cost around $50 per pair. It is a 2 man job to change them as the cover must be completely removed and reinstalled.

9,345

you can probably find the pistons at www.allantesource.com . Dick has enough parts to build at least 1 or 2 dozen cars.

Best Answer Mark helpful