Traction control and fuel management

30

Asked by Aug 19, 2013 at 08:03 PM about the 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Ext. Cab

If traction control is disengaged, vehicle acts the exact same way as if connected.
Should there be a notable difference?

27,195

Just based on the following info. from Wikipedia, there are distinct changes in having Traction Control on vs. turning it off: A traction control system (TCS) is typically (but not necessarily) a secondary function of the anti-lock braking system (ABS) on production motor vehicles, designed to prevent loss of traction of driven road wheels. When invoked it therefore enhances driver control as throttle input applied is mis-matched to road surface conditions (due to varying factors) being unable to manage applied torque. Intervention consists of one or more of the following: Reduces or suppress spark sequence to one or more cylinders Reduce fuel supply to one or more cylinders Brake force applied at one or more wheels Close the throttle, if the vehicle is fitted with drive by wire throttle In turbo-charged vehicles, a boost control solenoid can be actuated to reduce boost and therefore engine power.

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

When traction control is deactivated via control switch and you mash the gas from a stop, the vehicle acts the same as if engaged. Vehicle acts as if fuel supply is cut and or spark reduced otherwise sluggish real problem when your in heavy traffic and need to put your foot down hard to merge. Seems that 302 flywheel hp should get a little squeal from a stop with TCS disconnected. What say you?

30

Racer_X: regarding hypereye1946 and the comment and question, what do you think is going on?

27,195

From my personal experience with sportscars, turning the TCS system OFF is like turning OFF the "nannies" that tame the car somewhat. Ditto with Stability Control...although both systems have helped me maintain control at high speeds in corners due to oversteer and understeer. However, what you're describing sounds like you may have something faulty in your TCS, if your GMC performs the same with the TCS off (I'm not a guru on trucks at ALL...especially the big heavy duty trucks/pickups, so maybe someone who is can chime in).

27,195

Hypereye1946...Thanks for the Best Answer, especially considering I'm not a truck expert, but understand somewhat what you're asking. Let me see if I can locate a truck guru for you!

you know if you've got basically NO control over your four wheels....TCS will help you selectively applying the brakes of the necessary wheels to bring the vehicle "under control"...If you are like me, we can do without such nonsense as the vehicle is more or less an extension of your nervous system and actually prefer WITHOUT your helpful do-dads...thank you very much...will do nothing good except divorce the driver from the "feel" of the vehicle on the road...open up your eyes people and your sense of tactile feedback (which gets stripped away whenever we put the robot in control)~that's my take Racer_X, aren't you glad you asked now?

Yes...your mileage will go to hell....and so will your brake wear~ turn that bazooba off~

...okay, if inextricably you find yourself on the "Ross Ice Shelf" or equiv. you may want your wheel speeds controlled by the robot brain~

trucks, when carrying a heavy load need room to stop....period...a lot of snif-snuff my ass is on fire drivers do not respect the room that the "heavies" need to accelerate slowly up through the eighteen forward speeds does take time...we must respect these fellers and give them plenty of time to stop...at the marquette interchange witnessed a geo prizm get squashed between two eighteen wheelers who...apparently did not have enough free space~

27,195

Thanks for your input, Judge...I think Hypereye1946's issue is that their GMC truck feels/acts the same with TCS turned off as when it's turned on...which shouldn't really be the case. I agree that TCS isn't ALWAYS needed, especially in dry roads conditions at moderate speeds. Not quite sure how "spirited" a driver you are with your Mini Cooper, but I can tell you as a speed demon, I appreciate what the TCS and Stability controls systems can do to keep me from succumbing to extremes in oversteer and understeer in my MX-5 (which only weights 2500 lbs) when I hit the twisties doing more than the posted speed limit....lol

REX...seen too many of my cars get destroyed on the ice when I wasn't at the wheel...working on a sticker with an arrow <---SlOW, go around----to stop guys from putting their fingers in my soup~ I drive SLOW and in control, listening to the motor the whole time~too old now to to fast~

the 78 Datsun 810 with independent rear suspension would 'hunker down' when you accelerated...front end a bit loosey-goosey...abandoned after the waterpump went loose and into the radiator...owner had no money to fix...THE celebration of being a mechanic...sometimes can score yourself a pretty good car~

the lady driver in that wreck LIVED, tho with broken bones that they had to cut from the wreck...good thing she was a woman, because they are much more flexible then men are...which would have snapped in two like a twig~