Oil light problem

19,310

Asked by Feb 27, 2014 at 01:57 PM about the 1994 Cadillac Seville Base

My sisters cadillac occassionally displays an idiot light indicating the engine should be turned off because of an oil problem.  It does not happen all the time, as I have driven the car in an attempt tosee what light is going off.  Checking the oil and it is fine.  I change the oil frequently.  There is no clatter from the engine when it happens, so says sis, so what is the light signaling, low oil or low oil pressure, only occassionally

96,695

The best thing to do is install a manual gauge to verify the actual oil pressure, it could be just the oil pressure sensor sending an incorrect signal to turn on the warning system.