Why is my 2011 Rav4 transmission slipping?

5

Asked by May 21, 2016 at 09:02 PM about the 2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD

I am financing a 2011 Toyota Rav4. It is a beautiful vehicle with only 40,000
miles on it. For the last 4 months, the tranny has been slipping going into
second gear. This has happened about 14 times already, but it is
intermittent. The check engine light does not come on, and no codes come
up on the scanner. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer 4 times already.
They cannot duplicate the symptoms. Could this be the ECM? And if so,
what should I do? I need some help and advice on this.
When the ECM is faulty, does the check engine light normally illuminate on
the dash???

113,895

Sometimes if an ECM is actually faulty the light will not turn on, but you usually will have more problems than just a shifting problem. Shift solenoids are a big problem with just about every electronic transmission out there, that is why servicing is so critical. You may have to go to a tranny shop that can plug in to the transmission and override the existing control system, then they could tell if it is a solenoid problem or a transmission control unit problem.

Best Answer Mark helpful
5

Hello, thank you for taking the time to try to help me and answer my question. My Rav is covered under warranty, and it's just very frustrating that my dealer cannot duplicate the symptoms. It does not always slip. If I go to a tranny shop, how much do you think they will charge me? I just left my Rav overnight at the dealer and they drove it for 91 miles and they told me it did not slip. They gave me a loaner car for 2 days.

26,885

Yes,. tennisshoes--is absolutely correct. I had an old 95 Honda Accord with a bad speed sensor, and the car didn't shift properly.. Welcome to the world of high technology.

5

See now how come the dealer is not looking further into this for me? My warranty expires December 2017. I have taken my Rav to the dealer 4 times in the last couple of months, to try to address this issue. If I go to a tranny shop, won't that void my warranty? There are several tranny shops where I live, and one has a really good reputation. Is there anyway you think I can get my dealer to put my Rav in a tranny shop and get them to pay for it? I don't know what to do......

113,895

Is there another dealer that you can take it too? sometimes a fresh set of eyes can change the whole picture.

26,885

RAV24,. why do you think it's the transmission? You only have 40,000 miles on your car. I think it's more likely an electronic problem, computers can be tricky and they control everything in your car.. The RAV4 is a very good car and I'd be very surprised if your transmission failed.

113,895

You may have to contact Toyota customer service for your area, sometimes you need to push a little to get things rolling.

5

I can take it to another dealer. Definitely. The reason I think it is slipping is because I have driven a vehicle before that had a bad tranny, I know what it feels like. I have contacted Toyota in Torrance CA, and they have tried to help me with this. I opened up 2 cases with customer service. They are the ones that stepped up to the plate and suggested that my dealer hold my Rav for 2 days and give me a loaner. I live in New York and I was told to contact the CA office, and they are really helpful over there. I called them again today and they told me I should get a second opinion from another dealer. I'm going to make a list of suggestions that people have given me, and I'll just try to do the best I can. My nerves are shot from this. But I'm trying to stay positive.

113,895

If they suggested another dealer then try another dealer.

5

Yes, I agree. I will do that next. I am not going to give up on this, I am going to try to get this problem resolved. And the reason is because even if I don't have a "bad tranny" right now, Im afraid that this computer problem or solenoid problem is slowly but surely doing internal damage to my transmission. Slipping now and again is something I can't just ignore.

5

If I get the problem resolved, I will post here and let everyone know :-)

113,895

Great, we would like to know how it all turns out.

what happen RAV24?