Oxygen sensors for 2011 Toyota Rav 4 Limited

Asked by Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM about the 2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD

The oxygen sensor code showed for my check engine and the rear one was replaced, only to have t he same lights and code pop up again within hours.    Brought it back to the place and they said it could be a faulty one,  they replaced with a  new one and same code is still showing and check engine lights still on.    they said that it could be the other senser in the front that is not working correctly and needs to be replaced.   I only have 44, 000 miles on this vehicle.    Any ideas?

1,565

OK now I don't want the step on toes or cause you any grief ('cause you're having enough stress about this already). But in my opinion, if the shop/mechanic is not able the solve this kind of problem at the first try and he/they are now asking you to pay them to change parts until they luck into a fix or you run out of money or patience; then I suggest going to a Toyota dealer to at least get their evaluation of the problem and to offer their plan of action and cost. If that makes since, then you can have them so the work or take your Rav to someone else with more confidence, of what needs to be done and the price from Toyota, to compare their bid to. Good Luck

10

I have the same problem, Toyota charges 87.00 to tell you what the code is showing is wrong. Someone else is saying had it repair and it did not remedy the situation. In my case not only the lights come on but the traction while driving is slow and it feels like is going to die any minute. I agree with the person that says it seems to be a repetitive issue Toyota should have a recall

I have had the same problem on my 2011 RAV4 (Sport V6 FWD) with 40,000 miles. The CEL and AutoLSD lights go on, the latter flashing, and the code indicates a bad O2 sensor in bank 2; however, if I disconnect the battery, the warning lights don't come back on for hundreds of miles or more. I've discussed this ad nauseum with Toyota North America, who refuse to fix anything if not obligated to do so by the National Transportation Safety Board. (I raised the question because there is apparently a recall on the 2012 models to replace, or at least update the software/firmware in the braking module's ECU.) I have offered to pay for the software update, but they won't do it without a complete inspection. So when the warning lights went on again Friday, I stopped at the nearest Toyota dealer and described my problems rather than making an appointment. Here's what I learned: Yes, they'll charge $160 to do a complete diagnostic workup, but they'll refund it if they find something that needs to be repaired. Although I don't think it's likely that the O2 sensors are going bad at 40,000 miles, he looked it up and found that, at least in California, emission control parts -- e.g. O2 sensors and catalytic converter -- are covered for 84 months; if they're bad, the dealer will replace them at no charge and, in this case at least, refund the inspection/diagnostic fee. Of course, I disconnected the battery again when I got home (because the flashing lights are annoying). But the next time they go on, I'll be heading down to the dealer. BTW, it's still a great little car. The only flaws are the side- hinged tailgate and the little person's driver's seat.

40

I do like my Rav4 but it isn't comfy for travel and I am sick of the 3 lights on the dash. They don't flash and they don't go away at all. Even came back on after I had the O2 sensor replaced the same day.