Oxygen sensors for 2011 Toyota Rav 4 Limited

Asked by Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM about the 2011 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD

The oxygen sensor code showed for my check engine and the rear one was replaced, only to have t he same lights and code pop up again within hours.    Brought it back to the place and they said it could be a faulty one,  they replaced with a  new one and same code is still showing and check engine lights still on.    they said that it could be the other senser in the front that is not working correctly and needs to be replaced.   I only have 44, 000 miles on this vehicle.    Any ideas?

1,775

OK now I don't want the step on toes or cause you any grief ('cause you're having enough stress about this already). But in my opinion, if the shop/mechanic is not able the solve this kind of problem at the first try and he/they are now asking you to pay them to change parts until they luck into a fix or you run out of money or patience; then I suggest going to a Toyota dealer to at least get their evaluation of the problem and to offer their plan of action and cost. If that makes since, then you can have them so the work or take your Rav to someone else with more confidence, of what needs to be done and the price from Toyota, to compare their bid to. Good Luck

10

I have the same problem, Toyota charges 87.00 to tell you what the code is showing is wrong. Someone else is saying had it repair and it did not remedy the situation. In my case not only the lights come on but the traction while driving is slow and it feels like is going to die any minute. I agree with the person that says it seems to be a repetitive issue Toyota should have a recall

I have had the same problem on my 2011 RAV4 (Sport V6 FWD) with 40,000 miles. The CEL and AutoLSD lights go on, the latter flashing, and the code indicates a bad O2 sensor in bank 2; however, if I disconnect the battery, the warning lights don't come back on for hundreds of miles or more. I've discussed this ad nauseum with Toyota North America, who refuse to fix anything if not obligated to do so by the National Transportation Safety Board. (I raised the question because there is apparently a recall on the 2012 models to replace, or at least update the software/firmware in the braking module's ECU.) I have offered to pay for the software update, but they won't do it without a complete inspection. So when the warning lights went on again Friday, I stopped at the nearest Toyota dealer and described my problems rather than making an appointment. Here's what I learned: Yes, they'll charge $160 to do a complete diagnostic workup, but they'll refund it if they find something that needs to be repaired. Although I don't think it's likely that the O2 sensors are going bad at 40,000 miles, he looked it up and found that, at least in California, emission control parts -- e.g. O2 sensors and catalytic converter -- are covered for 84 months; if they're bad, the dealer will replace them at no charge and, in this case at least, refund the inspection/diagnostic fee. Of course, I disconnected the battery again when I got home (because the flashing lights are annoying). But the next time they go on, I'll be heading down to the dealer. BTW, it's still a great little car. The only flaws are the side- hinged tailgate and the little person's driver's seat.

190

I do like my Rav4 but it isn't comfy for travel and I am sick of the 3 lights on the dash. They don't flash and they don't go away at all. Even came back on after I had the O2 sensor replaced the same day.

110

I went to Toyota today. Paid to have my 02 sensor changed Bank 1. Had bank 2 changed about 6 months ago. Roughly 25 miles driven and the lights came back on. I called my service adviser who stated to bring the car back tomorrow and they will not charge me labor to look into this further. Incredibly frustrated. Its January, I live in PA and I work on top of one of the highest mountains in the area. I have spent hours upon hours researching this online and I cannot find an answer/remedy. Thousands of people have this issue. Someone out there must have a resolution. The vehicles AWD and 4WD systems are disabled as a safety measure when ever the Check Engine light comes on. If this problem is not addressed the re-sale value on this vehicle is garbage. Here I am with a beautiful "looking" Rav4 with a $414 a month payment for the next 4 years, I owe more then the car is now worth and what makes the car valuable isn't functioning.

40

Having this very same problem right now. The code showed Bank 1 Sensor 2 needed replacing. Replaced it and maybe 50 miles later the lights came on again. I can't pass inspection in March without it.

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Rav4 V6 Limited. Checking Engine and Trac lights came on at same time. It is giving me code POO31, which means it could be one or both sensors.

20

I am in Canada, I have the same problem. Changed Bank 1 sensor 2 twice as the lights came back on one month after repair. Went into the service shop to have them replace it as we considered it may be faulty and still under guarantee. 2 days later same problem. Now I am being told I need to have bank 1 sensor 1 changed also....This is a common problem from what I see here. Toyota needs to answer this issue.

40

Replacing the upstream sensor totally fixed the issue for mine.

We have a 2012 Rav 4. 105K Miles. Trac Off, Check Engine, and 4WD warning lights all on. Auto Zone sales rep said error code showed we need an oxygen sensor. Spouse got under car and we have holes in exhaust. He patched, disconnected battery, reconnected battery. Warning lights off. I drove for a couple hours and stopped for gas. All warning lights came back on. We have no AWD it’s not working seemingly been disabled as a result of the sensor issue? It’s real dangerous as we live in winter climate. How does it make sense that an exhaust leak disables AWD and Trac control?!?! I deserve to get interested a wreck because of a hole in my muffler?!?!?