1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine 420,000km for $1200, worth it?

30

Asked by Aug 25, 2018 at 03:28 PM about the 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan RWD

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood 8-passenger limousine
420,000km for $1200. How many more kilometres
can it last?

117,365

That translates to about 261,000 miles. If it's in overall good condition and you only plan on using it occasionally, like for special occasions, I think it'd be worth it. I have a '94 model with 77,000 miles on it that I paid $3200 for in 2012. I use it two or three times a year. It's not perfect, but it is a very nice car! I enjoy it very much! The powertrain is the very dependable Chevrolet V8 350. I think it's got some life left in It! Looks like it needs a grille, no big deal. Tires are going to be expensive! Can you post more pictures? HTH. -Jim

117,365

My '94

30

Jim, thanks for your answer and personal experience. Planning on going in with a couple friends to use it for special occasions or short road trips. We are in Vancouver, Canada, and the dream was driving down to Oregon or California (seems a bit unreasonable). The transmission slips when going above 50km/hr and didn’t go above 70 on the test drive. The back trunk is waterproof but the locking mechanism doesn’t close it properly. Overall seems like it would be a great time if it can last the next couple years. Thanks again for the advice! Here’s a few more pics

30

Front seats

30

Back seats

30

Trunk

117,365

Some wear and tear, but that's to be expected. It's not beat up! With a good compound and wax the paint would probably come back. The inside mirror is no big deal. The trunk pull down might be a few dollars. The motor assembly, new, will be about $250. The trailer hitch concerns me a little. Cadillac did boast that the regular Fleetwood car could tow a 5000 pound trailer. But I doubt the limos were designed for towing. Check the transmission fluid. If it's dark, burnt, and smells funny the transmission is very near the end of it's life. Check the oil. If there's coolant in the oil its most likely the water pump. The water pump is driven by the camshaft and can leak into the crankcase if it fails. With the leather upholstery and seating arrangement this would have been a corporate limousine. Most likely used to shuttle important clients and company top brass to and from the airport, hotels, dinner at fancy restaurants, etc. The middle seat does flip. So you can have it either rear facing, as it is now, or front facing. With proper care and maintenance I'd expect it to go another 80,000 KM. Maybe more. For $1200 I don't think it looks bad at all. If it runs and drives well, all the accessories work as they should, and you can do some of the minor repairs yourself, I think you'll be getting a bargain. HTH. -Jim

117,365

I didn't see your post here but it came through on my email. I did see the pictures. You're welcome. Glad to help! Sounds like a good plan for this car! The slipping transmission at highway speeds may be the torque converter clutch. Not the end of the world. A good transmission shop should be able to fix it reasonably. Good luck with it! I'm sure you and your friends will have a lot of fun with this car!! HTH. -Jim