Code p0442 no start

Asked by Feb 08, 2016 at 11:54 AM about the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE

Have a code of p0442 and same code pending,
they have been on for about a week, filled up on
fuel and next morning car will not start. Any ideas?
Possible bad purge valve?

38,005

P0442 VOLKSWAGEN - EVAP System Small Leak Detected Possible causes - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks - EVAP system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking Tech notes The P0442 code means that the control module has detected a small leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0442 code..... Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a leak, EVAP control system does not operate properly. Possible symptoms...... - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors P0442 Volkswagen Description The Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions: - Large and small leaks - Excess vacuum - Purge flow during non-commanded conditions - Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults - EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.

Any idea what one of those would cause a no start? When key is turned to on position, the fuel gauge is reading empty also, but has a full tank, also no fuel odor.

38,005

Ok, well I am no Volkswagen guy, but I can tell you what I think. #1 for sure is the po442 is an emissions issue, and does not cause the no start condition. If it was the purge valve it would be a po445 code, (gross leak) Educated guess is there may be a burnt fuse or relay relating to the fuel pump. Now on these newer cars you cannot be topping the gas tank off, I have heard of cars not wanting to start after overfilling the tank. What they do about it, I am not sure. The excess gas will get into the emissions canister, and causes grief. Thats about all I have for you, hope some of this helps.

Thank you for your help, hopefully i can get figured out.