My 1996 Cadillac Seville won't shift into overdrive. Any suggestions???

Asked by Oct 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM about the 1996 Cadillac Seville STS FWD

When driving 45 mph or less the car operates at about 1800 rpm.
55 = 2100 rpm
65 = 2500 rpm
75 = 3100 rpm  
The transmission starts to get hot at speeds above 55 mph. If I stay off the interstate the car runs perfectly. I just had a major tune up, other than the high operating speed and a slight increase in temperature (I constantly monitored the temp when driving for diagnostics) the car is running perfectly. The car has 117,000 miles. Also, this car lived in Alaska for the first 18 years of its life. I recently relocated to Florida, I'm pretty sure that my car does not like the hot temps!

The overdrive band in your transmission might be burnt not allowing it to engage keeping your rpms high. Only way to fix is to replace, which always means a transmission rebuild. Drive it as is until you can repair it, or consider another vehicle.

Thank you Tom. That is what I figured. It is good to know how to get the most out of it before I move on.

have u ever replaced the vacuum modulator?

No Jason, I have not. Would it be worth doing this?

it is worth a try.. you can do it on your own. it is inexpensive.

Where is vacuum modulator located.

"Overdrive band" ??? I have been told there is none on this tranny, it is electric and uses an auxiliary steel gear with an electric solenoid. Who is right? Is this a "throw-away" GM transmission?