My cooling fans arent coming on like they should. Is it a relay? And how do I determine which one?

Asked by Jul 17, 2014 at 03:14 PM about the 1996 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

Could be. But check the wire from the sending unit that controls the fan. (I admit I stole that answer from dandyoun on a very similar question, and that was the problem) click to enlarge

Wayne Got Racks Anderson

I hot wired the fans to battery an they still want come on

Diana Jackson-Sexton

My 1996 Deville had overheating issues. Bored hole through thermostat but then found out there was a small belt located under a cover that had broken. No one knew it existed and we found it by accident. I believe they said it was on the water pump. Small item but car runs well now and has no overheating issues. However, the ac/heating fan does not come on.... haven't fixed it yet as I keep getting if this and if that answers. Saw a video where tampering with the buttons on AC/heating could cause this too happen... actually, people pushing all those related buttons in the wrong sequence can cause this issue according to that video. Will get around to fixing it someday.

Under what cover? Can you pick it out from this? click for full screen

This is a different kind of pump. Not saying bad, just different

I went off topic for the relay location. I can't find the image as in the owners manual, can't copy and paste from a pdf. But Download and see chapter 6 Page 58 -

I havd a 2000 Cadillac seville That fans will not turn on and the car runs very hot at time but it stays at 12:00 then moves up slowly when stoped in traffic once i start moving my temp moves back to 12:00 idk what to do n i need my car thanks