Cadillac SLS

Asked by Aug 26, 2007 at 12:14 PM about the 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

My 1997 Cadillac, will start up, but in about 3 secs. it will cut off, the info board reads theft system problem, I tried unhooking the battery, replacing the battery, but all tha did was nothing, I have managed to keep it running after it starts, but the P,R,D,N, indicator lights flash all at once and the fuel gauge doesn't work nor does the temp gauge, on top of all that my heater core is bad, it burst on me one day, do u think that may have shorted my computer board.

14,145

Hi jrdavie98, It sounds like you're having a rough time with your Cadillac. With all the issues you're describing I can only suggest that you take it to your trusted mechanic/dealership to have it checked out. If it's not drivable have it towed. There's definitely something seriously wrong with the car that will require more than my automotive knowledge to figure out. I know this probably isn't what you wanted to hear. Good luck!

175

It sounds as if your key might be dirty. Your key has a built in sensor on it and if it's not making the correct contact, your Cadillac will either not start at all, or run for a short period of time and shut the entire system down.

I had the same problem on my 97 sls, I had to have a new key made and that solved the problem, it cost me 25 bucks