Battery Charge/Jump on 2011 Suburban LTZ has caused check engine light to come on and AC to stop blowing cold air

60

Asked by Jul 18, 2014 at 03:26 PM about the 2011 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500

I have a 2011 Suburban.  My 5 year old was playing around in the car and left the acc
key and killed the battery.  My wife calls to tell me the battery is dead.  I told her to
set the car on the charger for about 30 min or so on the regular 12v regular amp.  This
charger has a trickle charge, regular charge and jump start mode.  After it sets on the
regular charge for 30 min, flip the amp switch to jump and start the car.  If it starts,
unplug the charger and pull the cables off.  She did all that, now the check engine light
is on and she is saying that the AC is only blowing hot air.  I saw another post about a
2005 suburban that had AC problems after a batter jump and they recommended
disconnecting the neg cable, let sit, reconnect, let car sit in ACC mode, then start
after a few min.  That this would reset some sort of malfunction in the AC unit.  Any
recommendations?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Colin Lentz

60

PS: we have had zero problems with this car up until today.

60

So, I just got a text from my wife asking her to get the code run for the CEL. She said it came back a battery code and now the AC has all the sudden started working again. Weird....right? I dont know. Did we fry the battery? Or just freak it out a little? Is the AC sys going to have future problems? Should I get a new battery? Still interested in someone making sense of all this. This has all happened since this afternoon.

148,755

What exactly was the code? P???? And does it start w/o a jump now after running a while?

60

Yep. It's has run as normal since we jumped the car - except for AC and CEL. My wife thinks the code was 706 transmission. She said the guy looked it up and it said defective battery. Maybe something tripped that code when we jumped it. That makes sense. What didn't make sense was the AC not functioning for a couple of hours. It has been functioning fine the rest of the day. She said the blowers and everything were fine, it just was not cold. Actually, it was blowing hot air. AC buttons were properly pushed. Hmmmmm....

148,755

An OBD code of P0706 is indeed a transmission fault. Transmission Range selector/Park/Neutral switch. P07-- anything is different faults for tranny ...http://engine-codes.com/p0706_chevrolet.html ..Now the A/C is a real mystery..could have pulled on a wire to compressor while jumping..but then again it wouldn't fix it's self. Unless you call your Suburban Christine

60

My wife also said that within the same few hours of all the CEL and AC problems, that the suburban was also under-powered. She said she turned out in traffic and the car did not go as fast as it should. She said that this problem happened over the same time period as the AC malfunction. I have since been driving it this weekend. All of the problems have completely resolved. I guess chalk it up as a electrical surge from the charger and made the Suburban a little haywire for a little while. Thanks for your time and insight. I'll keep you informed if anything arises.