Why would my speedometer and fuel gauge just bounce back and forth at the top?

10

Asked by May 31, 2013 at 07:53 PM about the 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS

I had to jump start my 1998 cadillac sls and when I did the dashboard lights would not
turn on and the needles for the speedometer and the fuel gauge will just bounce back and
forth at the top of the gauge my temp gauge is also doing this What could be the
problem?

I'm going to go ahead and say it's your ground connection to the chassis/frame from you battery is corroded and needs to be wirebrushed~

27,005

low voltage would cause issues like this. has it stopped doing it now that is back running and the battery charged.

10

It still continues to do this even after I jump started it and shut the car off any advice?

27,005

might be a issue within the instrument cluster if its still doing it when the vehicle is running im not sure though.

not proper grounding...if you took the instruments out of the panel and bench tested them, they'd be fine, 'cause what you have is an intermittent ground condition...like I say, get the battery seein' the frame and chassis and clean power will solve this riddle~

Best Answer
935

Usually to have an instrument cluster sent back for repair you are looking at about $300. See if you can find a local electronics shop that installs remote car starters, security systems, sound systems , ect... and see if they can take a look at it before sending it back. At our shop we do a lot of clusters for local car lots and dealerships if the vehicle is out of warranty. Usually it's just as simple as replacing the stepper motors for the gauges that you're having an issue with

935

it just hit me that if there are some cold soldier points at the resistors on the cluster... that could cause that as well... that's another pretty common issue with them,

there is always pickNpull for considerably less~

thank your for your positive reflections---20 points....wow..gonna challenge my associate Tom, which I dont want to do~but thank you, your support is always appreciated~