1998 Cadillac Eldorado Smoking Leaking Oil From Hose

35

Asked by Nov 18, 2016 at 01:55 AM about the 1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

I have a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado. I was driving to
my dad's house (I drive fairly aggressively) and
pulled over to grab a drink at the gas station and
left the car running while I went inside. When I
came out, it was pluming smoke from the hood, so
I popped it and there was a hose sticking straight
up (next to the fuel lines and all that good stuff)
that wasnt connected to anything, but was plugged
with a metal piece. The cause of the smoke was
that hose leaking oil on the engine and burning. I
was just wondering: What is the hose/plug called,
and can I just buy a new metal plug, or is there an
underlying cause?

65,045

Can you post a picture? Sounds like a transmission cooling line, oil cooling line, or maybe a power steering hose. I'm guessing that the power steering has been working ok so it's probably not that. But it could be an oil or transmission line. Check both the engine oil and transmission dipsticks. If either is low that's what's leaking. HTH. -Jim

35

It's definitely oil. My phone says "Unable to complete previous action due to low storage" even though my phone is saving the pictures and I have plenty of space. My dad said something about it having to do with oil overflow and the top would blow off if the system had too much pressure, but I can't find anything about it online.

65,045

There is a pressure regulator at the oil filter. You should be able to see it if you remove the oil filter. It'll look like a hole that's covered on the back side. HTH. -Jim

65,045

But there's no hose or anything on it. Sounds like an oil cooler line then. It was probably leaking and a previous owner cut and plugged the line instead of repairing or replacing the oil cooler. HTH. -Jim

65,045

Rockauto.com shows pictures of the oil cooler lines for your car. Check it out and see if maybe that's what the hose is. HTH. -Jim

35

I bought the car from my grandparents and they've had it since it was new, so that's not the case. The hose does look similar, but there is no place for it to attach anywhere else. It is coming out of the same piece the trans fluid dipstick is on, but I'm sure its oil coming out, as it isn't red at all

35

The hose says "NBR-OPE" if that helps at all

65,045

Ok, look at the radiator. You'll see two lines on each tank. One pair (on the passenger's side) will be the transmission cooling lines. The other pair (on the driver's side) will be the oil cooling lines. Follow both pairs and see if anything is cut. The ETC (Eldorado Touring Coupe) came standard with an oil cooler incorporated in the radiator. HTH. -Jim