How can I get A/C in my 2011 Hyundai Accent GL (Base)?

10

Asked by Jan 25, 2011 at 05:08 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Accent GL Hatchback

I just bought a 2011 Hyundai Accent GL, the base model, which I got a fantastic deal on.  It
doesn't come with a head unit or A/C, which I understand, due to it's price point.  Where I live,
it's going to be a hot summer this year and when I asked the dealer about installing an A/C
they said that it was not possible for them to do so, however they assured me that it could be
done, since it does have an A/C prep package.  I've seen forums online stating anywhere from
$600-$2,000 to install A/C.
My questions are: How much does it cost? Where can I get this done? Is it going to void the
warranty?
Thank you

3,565

Probably any mechanic shop could do it, but it could take some pretty major work depending on exactly what the AC Prep Package means. Since it came intended to have AC installed at some point, I doubt that it would void the warranty, check all the manuals and such that came with the car.

2,215

As long as the installation doesn't create/cause/result in the problem that you're complaining about then it shouldn't affect your warranty. For example say you put this AC system in and they wire it wrong and it fries the dash harness, that would not be covered under warranty. For example if you put the AC system in and the windshield wiper motor fails or the radio fails, either of those would still be covered under warranty.

10

So as it turns out, the dealer lied to me. After many hours of research and conversations with Hyundai themselves, I discovered that the A/C Prep Package merely means that it is ready for a head unit, radio, to be installed. With this newfound information, the dealer denies everything related to our conversation about it, and their statement of $1,400 to install the air. The best price that I can find for parts and labor is $2,200 to install air conditioning without voiding the warranty. Any thoughts?

45

I just got the Hyundai Elantra Blue (M/T - yeah!) which - like your Accent - does not include A/C... if this car had had the "comfort package" (a/c, cruise and factory-installed stereo) it would have cost me an additional $1700... but that was not something I could add-on when I made the purchase and now the dealership is quoting me 2k-2.5k to add the a/c. (I don't care about cruise and I know how to do the stereo myself... surely I can do this A/C for less than the quoted price????

20

Did anyone figure out how to get ac installed. Like the posts above I bought a Hyundai Accent 09 base model that has the room for an ac according to a mechanic... what is the cheapest way to have one installed because Hyundai quoted me 2500 and I can't afford that.. I did find a Hyundai dealer in Tx with the 09 parts for $1200+ shipping... but I am not sure where to go from here. Anyone got any advice?