My 1998 Cadillac keeps overheating and we cant figure out why

10

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 01:07 PM about the 1998 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance Sedan

I have a 1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It started over heating recently and we had a leak
in the radiator so we had a new one put in. That was in January. The car ran fine until a
couple weeks ago and it started overheating again. It loses the water or antifreeze
because it boils out from under the cap when it gets hot. We put in a new water pump
and a new thermostat and that didnt help. We took the themostat out and that didnt
help. Se we bypassed the heater core thinking that could be the problem but it wasnt.
All of the belts are on and working as well as the fans. We rented the equipment and
checked to see if it was the head gasket and it wasn't. The car puts out no smoke and
there in no coolant in the oil. There is no oil in the coolant either. The car runs great  
except it quickly overheats. We are going to flush the system even though it was done
in January. We are running out of things to check. I hope someone can help me please.

65,575

I know you just put a new water pump on,but i think this may the issue,some replacement pumps are bad,and from what you have done so far,crank car with cap off, have radiator full of fluid,and let it heat up,you should see the water circulate,if not it will be the new pump,if you do see it moving then replace the radiator cap,it is not sealing.

10

Thank you T_S_T we will try that

70

I have a 95 deville and am having the same exact issues ..sometimes it over heats sometimes it won't ?I have no clue what is wrong

10

@sts... SAME THING! I have a 98 dfeville... replaced everything you did! still over heats! it just started one day out of nohere! put bars leak too! still overheating! so... my battery dies 3 days ago... I get a jump. now battery system light says not charging! car wont start unless it has a jump! and dies out sometimes when it wants! I was told that the WHOLE computer system has to be reset from dealership. overheating issues might have been cuased ecause my EGR vavle needed to be replaced about 3 months ago... and I didn't replace it... and since caddys are tempermental... it threw off sensors EVERYWHERE like to the cooling system... and with my battery going dead it triggered something else to go off!!!!! I just sold it today! don't want to spend or deal with it to find out what next!!!! good luck!

80

So on some forums I've noticed that the reservoir tank cap may be a 16 psi when OEM is 18psi. My 02 Deville DTS is doing the same thing I'm starting with a $5 cap from autozone. Because I have a new water pump, belt, thermostat. Only things not changed are radiator and pressure cap.