dash speedometer light is out is it fuse n how do i replace?

40

Asked by Jan 24, 2013 at 03:15 PM about the 1998 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

40

non mechanical woman how do i change fuse n r there new ones in box or wat do i buy?

If it is just the bulb, you can tell by if the other lights works on the dash, Use a slotted screwdriver to pop out the A/C vent near the steering wheel. Remove the two screws behind the vent using a Phillips screwdriver. Remove the four retaining screws behind the defroster vent. Adjust the steering wheel of the Deville so that it is at its lowest position. Use a slotted screwdriver to pull the instrument cluster towards you. Reach behind it and disconnect the two electrical-wire connections at the rear of the cluster. Pull the instrument cluster out of the Deville. Replace bulb and re assemble the same way backward Now, if the entire dash lights have gone out, check the taillight fuse

Now, in the DeVille, they got weird with the fuse box. Some of them were in the trunk on the back of the back seat

40

thanks1 this car is driving me crazy! I'm unemployed, no man to help blah blah.. first the battery kept draining n i had to jump it every other day.changed out battery.I got it back from garage a few days later wouldn't start again said "starting disabled remove key and wait 3min" Then a few days later it just wouldn't start or say anything.towed it in to garage again he said computer wouldn't read key.smething with a wire etc. he said ignition wentwhen repairing,then h said a locksmithcharged him 100, my bill was 400.i drive it home have to hold up right blinker arm for that blinker to work! now i got in it today n theirs no dash lights!! there"s some lights on dash that light on the left in other window that tell you miles n range,but no speedometer! in Dec. i paid same mechanic 300. for master cylander n brake line.I don't know what to think every t ime I bring it in seems something else happens to break while they're fixing it!any idea about the fact the key was redone n now the blinker n dash lights I have to know something before I bring it back in to him.

Ok Eileen, being a woman has nothing to do with anything. We get that sometimes, but I have never seen a post that says "I am a man and know nothing about cars", it just does not matter. There I got that out. Now, your key has a transponder on it that is an anti theft device, the car can not be "hot wired". If that is the case...I didn't know a 1998 had those yet. But that is something to think about, the car is 15 years old and can become a money pit. But what gets me is he called a locksmith? And said "the ignition went while repairing"? Makes no sense, That all adds up to you need another mechanic, and that statement means he screwed up while repairing. Don't take it back to the same guy. Sorry I can't give you any better advice than that

115

Take it to a certified Cadillac dealer, or just call one near you and ask to refer you to a certified Cadillac repair shop.