Transmission problem

Asked by May 28, 2011 at 08:40 AM about the 1998 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

Could use some advice from you guys on my 1998 Catera. Last week while taking a 45 min drive I noticed the transmission was shifting a little erratically and it seemed to be switching  randomly between a few gears. I was driving in a very heavy rain-storm on the highway and due to the weather, traffic was stop and go.  Near the end of the trip, I pretty suddenly started losing power and the transmission light came on and started to flash.  I took the first exit and as I was driving  on service drive, I lost all drive power and had to coast into a driveway. (Engine was running fine) but the transmission would no longer engage in any of the gears, including reverse. Disconnected battery to reset computer but no help. Shift lever seems to be switching between all gears/positions but it just won't engage the transmission. Since getting it towed home I decided to try replacing fluid and adding some lucas additive. I'm just into this project now. The old trans. fluid  looked a little burned to me.  Do you guys think I'm on the right track, or do you think it's more likely the transmission control module or a different component?  Other than a little rough shifting from time to time, there were no warning signs leading up to failure.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Ive bought a car where the transmission was in limp mode, all it needed was a fluid change. The previous owner let it go 110,000 miles on the original fluid.