My antifreeze is going somewhere but I can't find the leak. Where could it be leaking?

Asked by Feb 05, 2007 at 11:24 AM about the 1998 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

16,565

Hello, Unfortunately, there has been no one place reported that these tend to leak. It could be the heater hose or could be the head gaskets (especially if you see any white smoke). Keep an eye out for any smoke or any one place where you see the liquid build. Be careful - you may want to just take it to a mechanic to make sure you are not stuck without the coolant. Best of luck! CarGrrl

60

CarGrrl gave a good answer to your question. I just wanted to add that if you do see the white smoke which would indicate a head problem, you may want to look for a product called Blue Devil. I saw 2 of these cars with head problems. One guy went in and fixed the problem (very expensive), and the other put a bottle of Blue Devil ($59.99) into his and it actually fixed the head leak. It is unique stuff that is guaranteed or your money back. You may want to try it, especially if the car is pretty old. Thanks! Jill

35

My 2000 Catera does the exact same thing... Every time I park it a few drops of antifreeze leaks out and the light stays one all time. If you figure it out send me a message

85

you might want to to look at the heater core control valve. it is located under the wiper cowl which will take a while to get off on the back side of the engine, this exact thing happened to me, and it turns out that the heater core control valve had cracked. Best of luck.

10

If its leaking at the back of the motor its more likely your heater bypass valve. Part is about $25-$45 and repair is simple. Remove plenum entirely and there it is to the left, behind the motor, attached to the heater core hoses. Remove, replace and voila. Just remember to reattach the vacuum hose.