Issues cranking up my 2011 Ford Explorer after filling tank with gas

40

Asked by Apr 08, 2015 at 09:27 PM about the 2011 Ford Explorer XLT

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer.  It rides well and has given me no problems until recently.  
The check engine light came on so I had a mechanic check it and it seemed to only be a
sensor.  We put new sensors in and the light went off for a while.  Now it's back on.  I also
have noticed that whenever I go to crank my car back up after filling my tank up with gas,
it has a hard time cranking up.  It sounds as if I am cranking the car and holding the key in
the turned position.  Then it either cranks right  up or doesn't and I try again.  This ONLY
happens after filing up with gas.  Any ideas what could be the cause?

63,225

Is your, eqipped with the fast fuel up,or does, it have gas cap?

40

No gas cap

63,225

Gas,cap can cause this issue if not sealed good,make sure cap is tight,and seal is good,if not you may need to replace with a new one.

17,910

Exact same problem with my 2010 F 150 4.6 V8. The problem with starting after fillup was traced to overfilling the tank, when it shuts off don't force fill. The fuel backs up into the charcoal filter and really screws up the sensor. Had to change the purge valve and solenoid. Clear codes with proper device. Mine also had two updates to the PCM which had to be performed. Runs like a clock now.

Best Answer
17,910

Forgot, the entire problem is within the EVAP system.

17,910

Oh, and my key would also stay in the start position and keep cranking. I had to physically turn the key the off position.. Also note, once the parts are replaced and the codes cleared there is a specific driving procedure you have to undergo. It is very involved - start stop, ten miles per hour - thirty miles per hour - highway speed for so many minutes, etc. Check on line once everything is cleared. The PCM has to run a self test, thus the need for a specific driving condition. Just a question, was the code 1450, indicating a problem with the EVAP system?

40

Not sure what the code says. The check engine light, of course, has gone off so they won't be able to check it. If it comes back on, I'll have the mechanic hook t up and

40

I'll have the mechanic hook it back up and see what the code is. I bet that is the problem though because the check engine light went off about a day after I filled up. Going to try to not fill the tank completely next time I go to the gas station or at least not top it off. Will update you on whether that worked or not. Thanks for the help!

30

I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge and have put gas in it three times now. Every time it has not wanted to start right after putting fuel in it, and once the check engine light came on and stayed on. I had the code reads and it was an O2 sensor, code was reset and hasn't came back on since. So frustrating!!

I am having the exact same problem with my 2012 Explorer XLT. I took it to the dealership to see if the computer had stored any codes, nothing. They checked the fuel pump, battery, starter and all systems but nothing. Of course the problem was not happening that day but did just after I left there. It seems to happen more frequently when the vehicle is sitting out in a hot parking lot. This part of Texas doesn't have many trees for shading. It does not matter if the tank is full, half full or close to empty. Still does it intermittently. Any suggestions?? My sync system went out a couple days before this starting happening and I unplugged the the power to the fuse box to reset it. Not sure if this helps or it was just a coincidence.

10

I have the same problem with my 2013 ford explorer, 6 cylinder. I changed the p1450 code sensor and p2198. I need help, I don't know what sensor it is.

15

This has happened to me now anytime I put gas in my 2012 Explorer XLT. It's like the key hangs and the engine won't start. It reminds me of older cars when you flood the engine and have to wait to start it up. Are you saying its a sensor problem? I first noticed it when I let my gas tank get low, now it does it any time I put gas in the thing.

20

The problem is the Vapor Purge Canister Valve. It's about a $10-15 part. This is a very common issue that takes about 5 minutes to fix

20

Cx2409 is the part number. $25 for the motor craft part and $15 or so for the after market one.

My 2011 Escape XLT hesitates to start after sitting for a couple hours. Oddly this problem doesn't exist in the morning or when restarted within 1/2 hour or so. It only happens after the car's been driven and then sits for 3-4 hours. Had the Vapor Purge Canister Valve replaced at the Ford dealership but that did not resolve the issue. Curious if anyone has any other ideas. New battery 3 months ago and all lights and electric work fine.