starting issues

Asked by Sep 09, 2011 at 11:42 PM about the 1999 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

please help my 99 catera i love this car but having a problem when ever i drive a good distance if i stop turn off the car and try to start it right back up it wont start ill have to wait at lease 30 min until it starts what could be the problem.

65

Good chance your not getting fuel, this could be caused by a crushed fuel line, a poor conection to the fuel pump or posibly to a vacume leak. Also a leaky valve cover could flood your spark plugs with oil, but then it wouldn't be likely to start until the oil is removed.

20

i have replace the fuel filter, pump, and now altenator cause i was having the same problems.... its a lil frusterating...

30

what about the starter? have you had it checked? does it not crank at all after its hot or does it turn over and just doesnt fire?

65

Its the crank case sensor

It's the sensor in the transmission shift case. Tight next to the drivers side."Neutral Position Switch" or PRNDL sensor. It over heats and then will not allow you to start the car. It acts as the mom to a kid that has been running around on a hot summer day. - " no you have to stop running before you get sick" I priced it out for mine and it was $250.00. Any how if you take off the cover on the shifter, it pulls out I think from the back to the front. Now Look down inside. See that little yellow lever? push it down. Now start your car. I hate being stuck when I ran errands on a summer day I found this work around. Good Luck!

80

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_years/cadillac-catera- crankshaft-position-sensor-1998.html http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron- forum/67854-98-catera-crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement.html I am not sure it will help with the battery drain. But it will definitely help with the hot not starting. I already replaced the k32 sensor no help there. But this seems to have solved the problem it has been a week.

80

Alas, k2 sensor is NOT the problem. Summer is here again and the problem has returned.