2000 Cadillac Eldo with 93k on it. Uses oil and antifreeze.

Asked by Oct 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM about the 2000 Cadillac Eldorado ESC Coupe

I've used approx. 5 quarts in the last 8k and always have to "top off" the radiator at that time.  I never smell coolant or see coolant OR oil under the car.  No coolant in oil (on stick or at change).  The tailpipes get blackened and so does the rear body moulding around them.  Doesn't overheat ... and has NEVER overheated in the 10 years I've owned it. The car is in good shape other than this .. which obviously irrelevant if it doesn't run!  TIME to shed it??

If it still runs good and you like it and you don't mind adding the fluids, keep driving it. Sounds like your just burning the oil, I assume you have over 150K miles. Worn valve seals and piston rings will do that. The coolant might be leaking, just that it drys up before you see it. Get under the hood when the engine is warm and see if you see any wet spots or smell coolant.

Ty Tom. Only have 93k on motor! Will check for for wet or smell after next run. I know there have always been overheating problems with the NorthStars but was THE reason I purchased. This my 2nd NorthStar after a '92 Eldo pre-Northstar.

At 93,000 miles your due for the dreaded head gasket failure. Have the coolant tested for combustion gasses. HTH. -Jim

Thanks Js! That thought was in my mind. Was hoping a "can of FixIT" was gonna' be given as "answer/suggestion/FIX"! LOL I love the car ... it IS my 3rd Eldo ... but I don't think what it'll cost to repair is worth it. Hmmmmmmmmm time to see what else I might like out there!! Thanks to all .... anyone interested in a "clean (soon to be gimpy) '00 Eldo? lol

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

Johnny Jones

I'll give you 1,OoO bucks! 00 CADILLAC ELDORADO.. I buy all