2000 Cadillac DTS - Can't remove key - runs down battery

Asked by May 10, 2015 at 05:17 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille DTS

I can't remove keys from ignition - stuck in 'on' position which runs the battery down.  This is a new battery installed about 3 weeks ago.  If I recharge it is there anything I can do to get the key out?

Check on the underside of the steering column directly below the ignition. There may be a small plastic plug that you can pop out. Then stick a small screwdriver in there and push up on the plunger that's inside. This should release the key. That's how my '00 Grand Prix is set up. The problem is either the key release solenoid in the steering column or in the shifter. HTH. - Jim

Thank you. The Plug you speak up is under the ashtray. Tried it - the key won't release.