My Mothers 2000 Catera is occasionally running hot (Usually with in-town driving) and will sometimes stall altogether.

Asked by ihatecatera May 21, 2012 at 06:58 PM about the 2000 Cadillac Catera RWD

My Mothers 2000 Catera is occasionally running hot (Usually with in-town driving) and will sometimes stall altogether. After waiting a few minutes, (so far), the car will restart and go a bit further and then the process is repeated. I cleaned the Mass Airflow sensor and ran the car a little with no stalling so far but engine is still getting hot especially when idoling. Fans are working and a new water pump was recently installed

Thermostat not replaced, no leaks, good coolant level. Overflow good

935

Thermostat or a gash in one of your hoses. Could also be an airpocket

Trade it in. Why would you let your mom drive a 13 year old car in the first place? Shame on you!

1,235

Get it running right and then get rid of it! these cars are known for head gaskets and other internal engine problems.Sorry to say but they were JUNK from the assembly line.

Riccardo, that's what I suggested to "ihatecatera", in fact I would not even waste money on doing that ... it's called throwing good after bad. He/she sent me a personal note, however, calling me a jerk for letting their mother drive around in a killermoblie and not being sensitive to the "circumstance" they're in, go figure.