2000 catera problems electrical

90

Asked by Mar 13, 2010 at 02:01 PM about the 2000 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

car dies overnight. i will jump it and will last anywhere from 1 week to 3 months, replaced battery. took to diagnostics place cannot find problem. happened last night saw heavy draw on alternator, radio went blank, this morning all is well. can anybody shed some light?

925

on star module, if it has it...seen it a few times, the first one took 6 months to figure out. Otherwise, get your hands on an ammeter, and hook it up in line with the negative battery cable, make sure the key is off, radio off, take the bulb out of the underhood lamp, etc... Most cars should be under or around 200 miliamps, or .2 amps. If its higher, start pulling fuses until the draw goes away, then you know which circuit its on, and can start checking components. I've seen glove box lights that stay on, trunk lights that stay on, power seat or power mirror switches get stuck, but I would think a shop would have found those, thats why I think its the on star, it's harder to diagnose, I think its on the same circuit as the radio.

90

Art, I disconnected the onstar so far I have not had a battery drain. thanks for the tip

25

Will this cause your 98 caddilac to make popping noise while off for a few days. My car is popping and its been parked for 4 weeks. What ever it is, its killing my battery, cause they say alt and battery is good.

70

Try replacing the K134 relay. It's located under to driver's side lower dash panel, to the left of the steering column.

280

Mida, I am experiencing a similar problem... What is the procedure of disconnecting on-star?

60

Did anyone ever answer how to disconnect OnStar? Having same issues. Also, seems drivers door latch has disengaged and we can't get door open. Latch is useless. Any suggestions?

80

Not an onstar issue. I have the same problem but no onstar. I have yet to discover why this occurs but I get my battery charged every 6 weeks or so.

10

Its the full body module. 1000 dolla part. but one fastest cars made. i still love it. 140 mph. yup

Try door jamb switch