i am looking into buying a used 2001 STS. i would like to know how reliable they are, and if parts are expinsive. What kinda things should i look for when buying.

Asked by Jan 21, 2011 at 03:42 PM about the 2001 Cadillac Seville STS

Are there other models that mite be better? I need a 4 seater under 7000 that is still nice, and not imbarasing to drive.

10

Reliability NOT. Known to have head gasket issues. Very very expensive to repair

185

actually my caddilac is very reliable who ever sais its not its a lie even though u change the head gaskets its a one time thing my caddy has 2600 thou klicks on it and it never gotten changed once its the best car i ever owned

10

I just buy a seville sts i never owned one before so will see, give a few days i let u know.

55

I Loved my 01 STS, yes they do have head gasket issues, but look for one that has been repaired, also make sure that the suspension is in working order also, it has a level suspension, STS i like better than the SLS, due to the options and the extra 25 hp, they are gas hogs due to the 4.6 northstar, but its an easy engine to work on.

185

i loved my seville but due to bills i had to sell and boy am i kicking myself for doing that today.. i miss my caddy so i recommend anyone who has a chance on getting one. they may have head gasket issues but thats if you beat the shit out of the engine by flooring it about 13 times a day so if your easy on the car, she'll go easy on you. my seville have over 243 000 km on it and all it ever broke in a year is the alternator and that cost me 210$ and i installed it myself so if you get the caddy go ahead and go get her because you wont regret it.

40

The only potentially serious problem is with the Northstar engine leaking oil due to a defective head gasket. The fix requires pulling the engine and is expensive. The good news is it only affects maybe 10%, and is easy to detect. Simply get on your hands and knees and look at the underside of the engine. If you see any oil covering the underside of the engine and body, it has the problem and avoid it. Typically if the car has 80 to 100,000 miles or more and its oil free, chances are very good it will continue to be good. Sevilles are more susceptible to the problem than the big Cadies, due in part to the limited clearance between the exhaust and the area where the gasket is on the engine. Also, Cadies after 2000 are generally much better regarding the oil leakage. They are otherwise great cars, with exceptional performance and comfort. Expect about 18 mpg in town and 25 to 26 mpg highway. I see many at the wholesale car auction with over 200,000 miles still running strong. Good luck.

I recently bought a 2001 STS with 97,000 gentle miles on it, always garaged, interior like new, no signs of oil leaks. Put in some electrical parts from the local Pick n Pull and installing the Arnott struts now. Love the design and features. My son in law could not believe I only paid $ 2500 for the car.

Just bought a 2001 STS and very disappointed. It was taken good care of, yet the harmonic balancer seems to be disintegrating (the rubber part coming off), causing some serpentine belt slippage and wear. In addition, there are ABS and computer problems as well as some worn tie rod ends. I simply do not understand how a well-maintained car could have so many problems. Don't know what to do now. Does anyone want it? ;/