Radiator fan not working.

10

Asked by Sep 04, 2016 at 01:19 PM about the 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS

My caddy is slightly overheating trying to find the
root cause. Noticed my radiator fans aint working
even when cutting on a/c on high. Is it a
fuse/relay/ some other issue?

20,985

The fuse & relay would be the first place to check. Swap the relay with a similar rated relay to confirm it's bad or good. If it's good check for voltage at the fan itself, or by jumpering the fan by applying 12V directly to it. If it's no go, it's the fan motor. If it does work then you have to determine why it's not getting voltage during normal operation. (bad fan control module, ECU, wiring harness...)

10

Could the themostat be causing this issue as well. Clogged up not ooening or closing? Im trying to narrow down. I'm currently driving it now It feels like its losing power. Hard to accelerate. Not overheating yet but after 30-40+ mins it will.

20,985

The fan should come on immediately when you switch on the AC, if they don't then there is a problem. Thermostat and engine coolant sensors would not factor in for non-operational fans with AC on, rather something in the fan control circuit.

10

Ok. Thatll have to been done later. I just uninstalled/installed the themostat. Check engine light went out. Temp needle still wants to slide to overheating then settles back in the middle. Plus fans still not working. Is it safe to drive with no fans working.