2001 Cadillac Deville

30

Asked by May 11, 2017 at 10:19 AM about the 2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

5,635

?? Whats the question?

30

We just bought this car a week ago it ran hot not long after we drove it off lot took it to mechanic he said it needed a water pump so we got it done and it's still running hot I bought a bottle of coolant and out it in there and just let it run about 15 m initesinto it running the coolant and water starts boiling out the top what could this be please help

5,635

I am so sorry you are having these issues with a used car purchase. So not to go into full on panic, but the car may have a serious issue. To rule this out. I would check the thermostat first (Usually under $10 for the part). If you change it and the car stops overheating, theres your fix. If you replace the thermostat and the car still overheats, you will want to have the head gasket looked at. Unfortunately, the head gasket blowing is a common issue on these Caddy's and its a pretty costly repair (usually $1200-$1400 depending on the mechanic). Bottom line. Return it to the mechanic that replaced the water pump and demand a free diagnostic to determine the cause. You already paid him to fix it, and its not fixed. Don't be afraid to be a little stern with them. Ill follow your post for more questions, I hope this helps!

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

If we changed the water pump and it's still running hot what could be wrong the water is NO LONGER going on the ground but the coolant box becomes empty while driving and if you are not drive g and cap is off after about 15 minutes of running it begans to boil up and out

5,635

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.. because I've been in your shoes before. Its the head gasket most likely. A diagnostic at a shop would need to be done to be certain but I am 99% positive thats whats wrong. Im very sorry for the trouble. Please, let me know if you have further questions.

30

OH NO 2000 BUCKS GONE DOWN THE DRAIN I AM VERY VERY SAD HOW CAN I TELL MY HUSBAND THIS

5,635

Well check the thermostat first. If that doesn't solve the problem, then move on to the head gasket. The thermostat is located where the coolant hose meets the radiator (its inside the hose right at the radiator housing). This a very cheap part to fix but it requires draining the radiator, coolant system. I wouldn't go straight to the head gasket fix before trying the thermostat (just to be clear the thermostat is not the water pump and has no association with it). Keep me posted on your progress.