I was stopped at a red light, my vehicle was idling slightly rough, not too bad, I didn't think, then it cut off.

50

Asked by Nov 28, 2014 at 01:32 PM about the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

I did immediately start it back up, but
coming to complete stops, were getting the
same result. So, I would not let it idle, I just
put the vehicle in neutral at a stopping
point to keep it from cutting off again.

10,060

Before doing anything ... did you just get a tank of gas? or did you do anything to the car at all ... like wash it or change a filter? You could have water in your gas

50

I filled the tank on an out of town visit, and this occurred after driving from that fill up for approximately 180 miles, no washing, no filter change. Although the vehicle had an unusual incident about two weeks ago that has never occurred. I get regular oil changes based on the oil percentage. About two weeks ago, the engine was clicking and I checked the oil, and found it was empty, something that has never happened since I bought the vehicle new.

10,060

OMG .... empty oil Good grief .. didn't you get a Red light? Any how ... if there is a large amount of water in the gas you may not see it until the tank is under half full Water floats on top of gas ..refill the gas tank and if it seems better than get some additive that removes water

50

Thank you Tom, I will try that. And by the way on the oil situation, no the oil light did not come on, and of course I immediately refilled it with the proper kind of oil per the owners manual. I am planning on discussing that matter with Chevrolet.

50

I purchased the 2012 Equinox on September 16, 2015. On October 20, 2015 it cut off me 3 x. I drove it into the dealership. Of course it did not cut the ff on them. But they found that there was no oil. Now I have to do this oil consumption test per gm and bring my car back to the dealership after 1,000 miles. I took the car home on Thursday andabout 3 hours later, it cut off 4x. I took back to the dealership Friday morning. I'm so grateful to have a warranty but it is such an inconvenience. I really like gm cars but this just might be my last.

100

Wow, I thought I was alone. My 2011 Equnox is doing the exact same thing. I decided to take it to another dealership for a second opinion. I don't have much faith in the one I purchased it from...

10

My 2010 equinox is doing same thing .fsiled one oil consumption test but passed the next. They sent me home. I fix. Then it's empty again 2000 miles later. Idling low. Like it's gonna stall. Code went off p 2035. Replaced throttle body. No better. I hate this car

2005 putting gas in it,and it wants to stall!!..Why??

There is a defect with chevy equinox's - excessive oil consumption. The company knows about it but they make you go through a "oil consumption test" anyway. Get it fixed before your warranty runs out.

40

I have the same issue with my vehicle. I have been to several car shops and they have all completed full diagnostic test and stated nothing wrong with vehicle. It stalls when idle at stop lights and shuts off if I dont give it a little gas before hand. I have a 2010 Chevy Equinox

2015 Chevy equnox keeps shutting off, a/c went out 2 weeks ago had some freon put in it now it is still shutting off and No power in it

20

I am currently having the same issue. Cleaning the throttle body helped for about 2 weeks. Then it happened again. Had solenoid valve, cam shaft replaced and was told by Heritage Chevrolet that the Mass Flow air sensor is the reason it is stalling. I am having that replaced as I am typing this in the lobby. I pray this fixes the issue. If not, Chevrolet will have to answer some real questions. Please please put in your formal complaints with Chevrolet and/or GM so that there could possibly be a recall placed on our vehicles. If they aren't aware of your issues there can't be a recall. I hope this info helps us all.

20

By the way my vehicle is a 2014 Equinox ls. *Correction* the intake cam solenoid was replaced. Codes were: P0010, P0011, P0113 and P0228

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox and the idles a little rough when I'm at a stop sign or reversing feels like it wants to shut off what do you think I should change first mass flow sensor or the intake cams solrnoid any help out there it ain't been doing it for long just started few weeks ago

10

My 2014 4 cylinder equinox is doing the same thing now. Stopped at a light, it idles down around 500 rpm, then starts running a little rough and trying to pull the car a little. If I shift to neutral, rpm goes to 750, and it idles smoothly. I tried gas treatment first, but that made no difference. The change oil soon reminder just came on, so I will change the oil next. I was thinking it might be idle air control valve, but feeling it pull the car, maybe torque converter. But, it is only 3 years old and 29,000 miles. I guess it has to go back to the dealer to diagnose. Years ago, my 1992 Cavalier would die when idling when the temperature was around 60 outside. Below that temp, the fuel injectors must have fed a richer gas mixture (like a little extra choke on a carburetor) and above that temperature, the gas burns leaner. That car also had a goofy idle learning algorithm if I ever disconnected the battery. Anyway, back to the Equinox, the outside temperatures did just start dipping to 60 degrees, so maybe it is just the engine programming is not getting the fuel mixture rich enough (trying to get better fuel economy).

10

Update - dealer replaced cam shaft actuator solenoid valves. That seems to have fixed this issue of the car dying when stopped. I did some research and the 2011 Equinox had a recall for the same issue. The symptoms were the same - dying when stopping and running rough when cold started. Recall 11195A. The fix for the 2011 was reprogramming the ECM and replacing the cam shaft solenoids. It seems this is part of the variable valve timing. Someone commented that dirt in the oil clogs a screen in the valves leading to the timing getting off so the engine runs rough and dies. If it was a recall on the 2011, why hasn't it been fixed on the 2014? At least it was covered under warranty, but with less than 30,000 and regular oil changes at the dealer, why should it happen?

10

I just had the same problem with my 2014 Equinox (72K miles); the engine would shut off when I stopped in traffic or at a light. The check engine light did not cut on; it just died on the DC 14st bridge. It did restart immediately, but I had non-stop stalls at all stops on the way home. The dealer confirmed that the actuator valve was bad and covered under warranty. The 2014 line was NOT RECALLED, due to that part not being exclusively used for that year. But they covered the part anyway. If you have this problem, take your vehicle to a dealership and not to your local mechanic.

Following! I just faced the same issue. My car is at the dealership now (had to tow it) waiting in line for this problem! I will post an update

I have a 2011 with the same problem... However, the dealership is not aware of the recall that was mentioned. How did you all find out about the 2011 recall? I don't see anything online about it either... Thanks for your help!!

10

I found references on several other sites such as: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/2011-equinox-cold-start-engine-noise-102947/index4.html

2014 Equinox about 48K on it has oil changes regularly stalling out especially when I'm backing out of parking spots but turns right back on... 3 times today starting today