my 2002 Deville overheats

Asked by Mar 12, 2016 at 05:34 AM about the 2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS

I have a 2002 Deville, after driving it for more than 30 miles it starts to overheat and leaks the coolant thru the coolant tank. Any idea of what could be wrong?

247,445

First thing that comes to mind is a failed head gasket, as the Northstar engines have this as a common issue around 100K. Have the engine cylinders pressure tested. It might be as simple as low coolant level, but then you need to find where it is leaking.

Best Answer

That's what I was told. But I was also reading that the reservoir cap could have something to do. But then again you are probably right the car already has over 200k miles

Run, run as fast as u can away from that Cadillac. North star engines suck. My old 99 deville had a failed head gasket. We had unfortunately put a lot of money into that car before we came to the conclusion of the bad head gasket. Whatta shame it was such a nice car too. So save your pocket book, let the caddy go.........

97,215

Yep sounds like a headgasket to me too, a block check test should confirm or deny that, if it checks good then I would replace the radiator, thermostat and the hoses. But if the block check is positive then you have to decide if it is worth dumping that kind of money into the car. I had a customer that loved her caddie so much that when this happened to her she opted for a crate motor, and is still driving it today, last time I saw it there was well over 300K on the car and no more troubles, not even the tranny has acted up yet but she is a maintence wise person. My two cents worth.

Yeah, thanks for answering