My 2002 Cadillac DeVille won't start

10

Asked by Apr 08, 2015 at 09:46 AM about the 2002 Cadillac DeVille Base

My 2002 Cadillac DeVille wasn’t running right so I ran the DIC and it showed a misfire code. It did not specify which cylinder was missing so I ask my son to bring over his fancy diagnosis  system. He hook up and found that it was the number two cylinder. The next day I went to pull the car into the garage and found he had left the key on and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and tried to start the car, everything seemed like it was acting normal but nothing happened when I turned the key, it would not engage. I then removed the positive and negative battery cables  and touched them together then left them off for about an hour and tried to start it again, nothing happened. I then used the DIC system and now it shows about every code is active. Any idea what happened and what I need to do?

66,125

Sounds like when you touched the cables together you burned out the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). That's a big no-no on computer controlled vehicles!! HTH. -Jim

10

How do I know if this is what happened. I take it this is an expensive repair?

66,125

Actually sounds worse than it is. Total cost should be around $250. Probably around $150 for the rebuilt PCM then another $100 to have it flashed (programmed to your car). If you take it to a repair facility for diagnosis add another $100. Check the fuses. Especially the large ones in the underhood fuse box. Maybe you got lucky and just blew a fuse or two. HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks for your advise. The hard part about getting it to a repair facility is that it won't start and I'm 50 miles away. Any way I could put the PCM in myself?

66,125

Unfortunately no. The replacement PCM must be programmed to your car for it to work. This is done using a computer and your vehicle identification number. HTH. -Jim