No start. no crank

20

Asked by Aug 10, 2014 at 05:00 PM about the 2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

I have an 02 Deville with the north star.I changed the starter, and tested it before I put it
in. I have also checked all the fuses, and relays that can effect the starting, including
the ignition ones. I also checked the ground wire on the floor, and when I disconnected
it I got "sparks". When I remove the fuse panel one under the back seat, there is no
sparks at the ground' When it is all put back together and I turn The key to the start
possion, all the lights go out accept the check engine. I "HOPE" that someone can
help me with this puzzle?

69,615

Are you sure you hooked starter wire,s correctly?

71,695

Have you tried starting it with the transmission in neutral? Could be a bad neutral safety switch. HTH. -Jim

20

Yes, I tried that, and I also tried turning the key and moving the colum up and down.

20

yes , there are "only" two wires ti the starter, and they are different sizes.

20

Jim, is there another way to test the "NSS"?

71,695

You can unplug it and jump it. If it starts then the neutral safety switch is bad. HTH. -Jim

40

If anyone is have the problem with the car no turning over but the lights and everything come on. It is tour neutral safety switch. Put the car in neutral and wiggle it around in neutral while turning the keyes it will start... Ice had this problem intermediate for years and have replacement many things but I just figured it out this morning. After it starts you should be. Able to put it back in park and start it with no problem

71,695

Thanks for letting us know, Brian. Glad you fixed it! -Jim

40

welwelcome, it's an inexpensive part

30

OK I put it in neutral and it will crank but when I put it in park or drive it cuts back off and the dash will flicker on and off help

30

I have a 2005deville with a Northstar

Well i have a 03 Cadillac deville while i was driving it shut of the shifter is in the console and i put it in park but in dash it still remain in drive and it will not start in drive but on the shifter it is in park but the dash say it is in drive can someone please help me

20

Check the ground wire from the engine to the frame. This wire is located on the right hand side of the engine just below the A/C condenser and the PCM.