Fuel level sensor

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 05:10 PM about the 2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

Okay, after an hour or so, I was finally at a point of pulling the fuel pump out of the gas tank and replace the fuel level sensor. BUT... the (cussing implied) fuel pump will not come out of the tank! Who designs stuff with that kind of tolerances? A technician friend said almost all in-tank fuel pumps are this way and there's a trick to getting them out. Of course, he offered no help. The Chilton's manual says to pull it up until it stops, lean it toward the back of the fuel tank and slide it out. So I tried that and guess what... nope. After a serious cry, I put everything back together sans new level sensor. Does anybody know just how to get the fuel pump out. Seriously. There's only 360 degrees and so many angles to try.

Take the stupid thing to a mechanic. Mine is charging me $150 to replace a $29 part. This is stupid. It's costing me close to $1K to replace an air-conditioning switch, purge and refill A/C, replace blower motor and that fuel sensor. I'm not a slouch and that fuel pump should have been able to be taken out easily. but I do have a low tolerance for stupid. After my first go around trying to get the fuel pump out, it cost $29 for the sensor, $160 for a massage and $65 for a chiropractic adjustment. Tolerances on that pump are ridiculously stupid. Just suck it up, take out your wallet, bend over and get it replaced by a mechanic.

94 STS Would shut off and not start, then would run fine, then stop. Replaced fuel pump, twice at 2 dealers ($1500). Broke down in PA and was towed to a small gas station. They replaced the wire connector on the top of the fuel pump. ($70 with tow).