I am in the market for a preowned mini van with a budget of no more than 5000.00 out the door.I have two vehicles in my mind,1 being a 2003 caravan with new tires and brakes and a one year drive train warranty.(150,000k)for 4500,00.The other is a 2005 freestar(160,000k)six month warranty for 3700.00 any feed back on what I should do?

Asked by Feb 27, 2013 at 04:52 PM about the 2005 Ford Freestyle SE

101,385

I would favor the Caravan because the name is more familiar. Check KBB.com and Edmunds.com for the values i your area.

I've been reading that the caravan has alot of tranny prlms

15

The Caravan might be a better deal. When you test drive it, make sure the AC works properly and that the engine doesn't overheat while sitting for a few minutes with engine running. Then check underneath for oil leaks. Check to make sure the warranty covers seals and gaskets. Call the warranty company to make sure it's still in business.

6,955

I'm obviously a Ford person thru and thru and I never recommend buying a Chrysler/Dodge product. Any one's I've seen from friends and relatives have had some sort of electrical problems from constantly burning out tail lights to sunroofs not closing to alternator problems and power windows not working but Ford did a big BOO BOO in the mid 2000's on their minivans called Windstars. They had major subframe problems to the point that Ford was buying them back from owners for market value and then crushing them for scrap because the problem couldn't be fixed. It was/is a major safety problem with the subframes actually coming apart from the body.. Supposedly the subframe was made in Mexico and was built with inferior steel that couldn't be welded or repaired once cracked. Ford lost millions on the Windstar so I would not touch one with a ten foot pole They are a nice looking minivan but Ford stopped production on them even after good sales records because of the subframe issues on every single one of them. The Freestar minvan replaced it in 2005 but those minivans had a slew of recalls too. You can find them here at http://www.cars.com/ford/freestar/2005/recalls/ I don't like the Dodge Caravan but If you value safety, don't buy the Ford Windstar or the Ford Freestar that replaced it.. . How about a nice Chevy Venture??? Kenny/MrBlueOval Kenny/ MrBlueOval

Thre freestar have more transmission problems than the caravan, they weigth more and have some electrical issues as well, I would go for the caravan (I own one Caravan for last three years, no major issues so far)