What does it mean when it says ESC maintenance Service Traction, Engine Power Reduced

180

Asked by Oct 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM about the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ

60,225

It mean,s the traction control system need,s repairing,or bad sensor,

17,450

TST is correct. You need to get it to a Chevrolet dealership. That should still be under factory warranty. Unless it has over 100,000 miles.

180

Thanks! It's fixed now. I had a shortage in my fuse box.

17,450

Glad to hear! I'm hoping at no charge to you.

180

It wasn't much $150.00. Thanks for your help!!!

17,450

That's not too bad. No problem

70

This has happened to me 3 times now In the last 2 month's.i had it towed to the dealership. All 3 times the dealership has said their diagnostic shows no codes. And when it happens again, drive it to their dealership and while its happening they can diagnose it. Yeah sure, they want me drive it 29 miles away as bad as its acting. I have to drive that far and damage my car then it'll be my fault . 44,000 miles.im really upset.

80

I have a 2009 LTZ that was having the same problem. I took it in for the recall on the wire connections on the Brake Control Module. They performed the recall work and it fixed the problem. Basically they disconnect the wire harness, lubricate it so the wires all have a good connection and then strap it to prevent the same problem from happening again.

400

I have a 2007 chevy malibu and the traction light is on and the esc light is on.the front right tire is huming

360

I'm having this same problem withy 2010 Malibu! I took it in for recall and it is still doing it!! I am open to any options for fixing this!! HELP!!!!

700

I have a 2012 malibu lt...45,000 and the light just came on today..traction and ESC!!!

110

2010 Malibu ltz 3.6l. Same here... Yesterday got the powerless... ESC and traction reading across the odometer display. Just got a tube of dielectric grease and applied it to some of the connectors I could get to easily. Mainly the throttle position and maf sensor. I'm kinda scared to disconnect the main ecu, so I,ll ask the dealership to get that one if it keeps running like dogpoo.

50

2012 Malibu. Took to dealer. Not under warranty and said it was a bad sensor. Cost: $1,350. Ugh! 70,000 on car.

220

I have a 202 Malibu, used, and at about 50,000 miles it started this foolishness. The dealership said the code was for the throttle. Replaced the throttle, after a month it started again. Then they said the connector was bad, replaced the throttle connector. After another 30 days it started back. Took it back they said the connector was burnt out. Put a new one. That didn't fix it. Then they said they found it!!! It was a pedal sensor. Finally they got it. And here we are almost 6 weeks later and it has started again. This car is a piece of shit and needs to be recalled. I almost got hit in traffic twce because of this issue. I am going to call General Motors again for the 5th time. Now it's doing it everyday... I hate this damn car!!!

50

Bmoore38 you would qualify to turn it in under the lemon law, which means you'd get all the money back you've ever paid for the car plus whatever you've paid for repairs. If a problem can't be fixed after four times then it's considered a lemon. My 2010 has the same issue and I'm over it. Just waiting for it to do it for the fourth Time so I can turn it in under the lemon law. Chevy is a lemon!!

220

Dchic, they finally fixed it... It's was the computer throwing codes.. So they replaced it.. So far it's good, but I got the car used and from what I have researched online, Florida does not have a used car lemon law...I hope it's finally fixed but we are nearing the 30 day mark again so I will c what happens this car has been a nightmare..

220

Now it's doing it again... 2 months and I'm back to this bullshit

175

I own an '07 Malibu that has had this issue for a while. The Check Engine and Traction lights come on and it says "Engine Power Reduced" / "Service Traction" on the radio display. It started happening in the spring of this year (2015). It stopped after we did some preventative maintenance to figure out the problem. It stopped happening for several months and all the sudden back in October it started again... Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Just praying the cost is reasonable as I'm going to college full time, and my mother doesn't drive, so it's my only way to finish school (45 min. drive / 4 days a week).

170

I have a 2010 chevy malibu LT and the traction control light came on.Also the message Engine Reduce Power. Well I press the brake pedal and it makes a weird sound but after that everything is working normal. Is my first time. Any suggestions?

60,225

This problem usually,is a bad traction control sensor,but if you have replaced the sensor,s and still have this issue,it will be in the wiring harness that is bad,chevy did not put heavy durable wiring to the sensor,s and it is a big issue with the Malibu,s.

175

T_S_T, Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind as I try to get my car fixed.

10

I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu one way to describe it. CHEVY PIECE OF SHIT. Multiple problems. Runs like crap. Been to several dealership and get the same blank expression from another "tech" with the line of we can not find anything wrong. Several times service esc has come on. This time engine power reduced almost got hit. Shit it of let it sit that goes away but the engine light comes on. From day one taking slow turns and it activates the control system causing breaks to pulsate and jerk the car. Then it does what it's states it's trying to prevent. Loss of traction. Eats brakes up like you would not believe. Driving along suddenly the temp sensor quits working, AC quits working and engine fans kick in. But hey guess what. They say no problem found. Had one tech tell me "ah just disconnect the battery. Let it sit for a few then plug it all back together. " well it fixes it for a while but for the love of god that's the service level of Chevy? Disconnect a battery? Now the top end is making all kinds of noise. Who wants to bet they will say no problem found. It also runs like crap when the engine is cold. yhe genius told me it's because I need an oil change. I change it every three thousand miles. As a matter of fact the sticker was in the window showing I had just had the oil changed two days prior to his intilectial diagnosis. Four oil changes later and guess what it still runs like SHIT but no problem found.

40

2009 Malibu. Have had this problem "fixed" several times and it's doing it again. They should have let GM go bust instead of bailing them out. How many #$%#$ sensors do you need on a car anyway? I'm going to sell this shit for scarp and buy something else.

175

Dealership replaced a sensor and fixed the tie-rod. The cost wasn't too bad and there is a 90-day / 3000 mile warranty on any work or parts replaced. My car is running great now, knock one wood. Praying for the traction light / engine power reduced message not to come back, but if it does within the 90-day period I will bring it back for them to figure out.

70

I have a 2012 Malibu. About 2 months ago it starting having some of the problems described in this thread. Service engine light, service esc, esc off, service traction control. When idling the car will jerk like its going to die. It misses bad. When they hooked it up to the computer the first time it said coil pack 2 was bad. They replaced it. Couple of days later it all started again. They put it back on the computer and again it said coil pack 2. They replaced the fuel injector on 2 this time. They test drive the car it runs fine. They leave it running in the parking g lot for about 30 minutes and when they go back to it, its missing and lights are on again. I drive 116 miles every day 5 days a week. This is the 3rd Chevrolet I have owned and I have had problems with them all. As for the wiring harness, mine has already been replaced. This mess started after it was replaced.

100

What Does It Mean When You Have A 09 Chevy Malibu And The Only Thing Popping Up Is Service ESC But Ain't Nun Of Your Senors Bad But My Car Won't Start At All I Have Ppl Looking At It And They Don't Even Know What's Wrong With It They Saying Its My Computer But I Don't Believe That's The Problem But My Car Won't Start At All And Its Making Me Mad Any Help Anyone ???

10

Have 2012 ltz with same issue car has been running fine chevy dealer says I have a blown cylinder wants $2200. Doesn't seem quite right to me

220

It's been a year.. Car still doing this shit.. General Motors is now fixing it for free. Too bad the dealership doesn't even know what the problem is. They have changed everything on my car... I'm about to call Mr General Motors...

@ jaja have u had any luck

350

I have a chevy malibu 2011. Esc traction serivce. What do i need buy to fix the problem...plz help me.

30

Geezus !

40

I have a 2011 malibu, same thing has happened to me. this being the second time. So far it has coincided with the rain. first time after about a day and dry weather the lights turned off and car went back to normal. Seriously hoping that happens again this time.

50

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu and I have the same problem mine says drive5 Line2

50

Has a cold p1682 does anyone know what it means

50

For ranman0531 i have the same problems I took it to the dealership and they could not figure it out. A diagnostic my own car and it was the ECM computer your car is doing the same thing as mine

10

What Ron said. Mine started doing this 2 days ago, I have a 2011 malibu. We have had monsoon like rain for 3 days. I am hoping also it will go back to normal because I don't have thousands of dollars for trial and error. If it doesn't, I hope that I can find an answer in these forums. My brake fluid light goes on, then service esc, then service teaction, then they all go back to normal.

I HAVE A 2010 MALIBU LTZ , THE SERVICE TRACTION, ENGIEN POWER REDUCED NOTIFICATION POPPED UP YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS HEADING HOME . I STOPPED BY A SHOP WHICH WAS INFORMED THAT THE SENSOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED . THERE ARE TWO , ONE IS UNDER THE GAS PEDAL AND THE OTHER IS UNDER THE HOOD. IN MY CASE THE ONE UNDER THE GAS PEDAL IS THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. I PURCHASED ANOTHER PEDAL WITH THE SENSOR HOPEFULLY EVERY THING IS FINE ONCE ITS REPLACED.

My car (2009 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4) had similar messages popping up (esc service, esc off, esc traction) as well as the check engine light. Luckily, I had my very knowledgeable mechanic friend try to find the root of the issue. We replaced the spark plugs, checked the coils, checked the injectors and ohms, checked the wiring, saw that cylinders 2, 3, and 4 have power and signal from the PCM. Injector 1 has no power and signal from the PCM. I am adding fuel injector cleaner once my gas tank empties, but he was extremely confident that the main problem after diagnosis would be that the PCM is not sending a signal to fuel injector number one. Next step is to take it for a repair which I expect will be in between $300 and $400.

20

I have a 2010 Malibu and since the moment I pulled it out of the dealership parking lot the service ESC and service traction lights have been going on and off. This issue is very annoying in itself, however, the worst part is that my brake lights are going off when I break and staying on as I drive!! Very scary and dangerous, so after many attempts of getting my car serviced to no avail, GM finally recalled the parts for my car! I figured at that point I would no longer have to worry about my sensors going off/ driving in fear of causing an accident due to faulty brake lights… Boy, was I wrong. I don't think I've gone a month without this issue arising, and now that the recall is over I get to pay out-of-pocket again! I have called Chevrolet customer care and will continue to do so, this problem is just so frustrating! The last time I was at the dealership the repair man told me the sensor comes loose which is located on the passenger side of the center counsel and that all they can do is use zip ties to tighten it back up and that's how they "fix" it for $200. If anybody knows how to to take off your center counsel and find such sensor, let me know! At this point I much rather try doing it myself

20

I have a 2008 Malibu Ltz and hopefully this will help some people that have been experiencing the ESC service/ traction control, engine stumbling, high rpm and slamming when shifting delema... I've been experiencing all of these issues and figured out that it was all stemming from a 15A Fuse under the hood in the driver side fuse panel that you access after removing the battery cover. The prongs that the 15A fuse push down into had been spread too far apart so when the fuse was pressed in it was not making good connection which in turn was compromising signals for the ignition coil. The fuse slot in question is labeled 43 or 44 ignition coil.immediatly after correcting this I started the car and whala all issues completely went away. After correcting this issue you will have to unhook your negative cable to clear all BS codes that have accumulated during this nightmare and this will also eliminate your check engine light. Hope this helps to ease your stress and get you back on the road! Good luck

I have a 2009 chevy malibu and the service esc service traction control eng reduced power and check engine light come on at same time randomly going down road. I have replaced the timing valve sensor camshaft position sensor oil change new spark plugs tps and its still doing it. Im at my witts end oh dealership says they have no clue what to do now. Any suggestions?