Gas leak after fill up, and parked overnight

10

Asked by Jun 13, 2015 at 06:55 AM about the 2011 Ford Fusion SEL

I just bought this 2011 Ford Fusion SEL (90k
some odd miles) yesterday, used. I know
nothing about all these newer cars as my
previous vehicle was a 1990 Ford Ranger
XLT.  Thursday I test drove it and they said
the swrvice light was on, okay they ran the
codes for a o2 sensor and the gas cap was
not on properly, they had "cleared" them and
if the servixe light came on to come back
anf they will fix it for free since they found it
before I did any paperwork. They cleared it
and when I drove it to work on the 3/4 tank
it seemed okay. At work I noticed it was a
capless easy fuel tank, cool, but why would
the gas cap send off a code? Silly woman
me didnt think about it so after work myself
and my boyfriend  drove around to get used
to the throttle and brake differences, a 11
year age gap the driving is completely
different. Well before we went home I filled
it up. I clicked it one extra time to top it off
and went on my way. Home was only 6
miles in and I was smelling gas, faintly, the
entire way. Figuring I may have gotten some
on my shore or something I parked the car
at home and went to bed. 4 hours later my
boyfriends brother wakes us up saying
there was a rather large puddle underneath
the car. Its gas, and still is trickling out from
what looks like the top of the tank on the
passengers side. Ive read it has an overfill
deal but most peoples was on the driver
side and it happened at the gas station. I
havent drove it, but no service light and it
has the same "377 miles to E" Dealership
doesn't open untill 830 or 930. Any
suggestions on getting a bead on whats up?
Please help its the first car I have even
bought and I was told the fusions were
aome of the most hassle free cars.

That was your first mistake...getting a 2011 Ford with 90k miles. Opps!

54,515

At James Rhodes...That is really helpful, James. - Probably what happened is you put a little too much gasoline in the tank and when you went home it was warm or hot in the garage. This will cause the gasoline in the tank to warm up and expand which slightly overflowed the tank. Gasoline that is stored in underground tanks is usually at 60 to 70 degrees and when you put it in your tank and it is warm or hot outside it will expand. Just keep an eye on it and stop pumping fuel when the pump clicks off. Fusions are very reliable cars.

10

Thanks Bob. Im in a very pissy mood so I was trying to ignore the other man, especially since my old truck has 400k miles with EVERYTHING, but filler neck, orginal to the truck. I spoke with my local mechanic and he said that was more then likely what happened and he told me he would look at it for free. But I parked it outside under a carport. But it is relatively warm already at 8 am. So that could easliy be the issue. Also at seven I moved the car back and a puddle the side of a young childs fist under it, but it seems its not leaking nearly as bad as it was at six am. I will keep posted though. Thanks Bob for being helpful

54,515

Some of the newer vehicles are very sensitive to overfilling the gas tank. Best of luck with it.

10

JamesRhodes that is extremely rude and pathetic of you. I was asking for advice on what it was. I did not bash any other car brand. Please troll elsewhere. Bob I took it to a local mechanic and they deemed it a serious safety issue. That I should not drive. It is leaking towards the top some where and it wouls explain why it didnt leak untill i conpletely filled it, they gave me 3/4 a tank. The salesman came by after heaing the issue from the mechanic towed it to their service and will fix it for free. Thankfully I haven't handed my truck to my little sister as it will be monday before they can start the work. Also would explain why the gas cap came up as a service message.

54,515

Glad you found the problem. Maybe it has a leak in the tank filler neck.

10

The mechanic told me it was the top of the gas tank, but it could be. If its anything like my boyfriends old truck, it only took ab hour to do, so Ill hopefully have it midday monday. Im just glad they are fixing it because I couldnt afford a new warranty. Although in the little bit O had it I grown attached to that smooth drivin . Haha. Thanks again.

Well..keep us posted! I say get a newer Fusion (the new body style!)..it rocks the house! What's your budget, yo?

300

Hi there sorry your having issues but I think I might have some good news for you! I have a 2011 and I recently received a recall notice for your issue! It seems that there is a canister on the top of the engine which might cause a fuel tank crack! If I was you I would check the cord website under recalls and it should pull up that specific recall! Bad news is Ford told me that replacement tanks will not be available until 3 rd quarter 2016! Ford did say in the letter that if it is found to be a cracked tank that they will pay the dealership for you to get a rental car! If you completed repairs already keep all receipts and contact Ford for total reimbursement. Hope this helps good luck!

300

There is some spell check errors sorry the canister is on the fuel tank not the engine

This is a common problem with fusions of various years, my mother had this same problem with her vehicle a 2008 ford fusion se but it only smelled like gas really strong every time she got gas, nothing over filled she purposely only put a few gallons in and same issue. I didn't see any gas on the ground, it didn't smell from the back of the car or under the hood but extremely strong in the passenger compartment. She took it to the dealer and they did have a recall on some other years for the fume canister but said that wasn't the issue with her vehicle, they couldn't figure it out going to 3 dealers she contact ford HQ but they just said don't fill the tank and drive with windows open. REALLY!!!! horrible, reason why i can't stand fords but my mom loved her car otherwise, UNTIL of course her transmission started making noise and burnt out on her. Now it sits dead in the driveway not worth replacing the trans to resell with that gas odor it would be hard to do.