i have a 2004 cadillac deville dts there was oil in coolant system but no coolant in oil could it be anything ells but blown head gasket

Asked by Apr 07, 2014 at 03:04 AM about the 2004 Cadillac DeVille DTS

i font oil in cooling system but no coolant in oil . i flushed system and replaced coolant
and cap . drove it about 7 miles and it overheated . shut eng off notice came on and temp
gag went to red . could it be something other than a blown head gasket or a crated head .

Oil or coolant can migrate either way.

These Caddys are notorious for blowing head gaskets- sorry-

1. Coolant not full... As in air in system still. Has it been checked since? Will it get hot w/o driving? Let it idle for hour... Get hot? Coolant still clean? Could be transmission fluid in coolant not engine oil and its not allowing proper circulation. Water pump belt still there? Its run by the camshaft and the belts about the diameter of a Frisbee and only 3/8inch wide.... Lots of variables.... If it was a 2000 or older I would just said heads.... But this year isn't half as bad as previous n stars as far as head gaskets... Gm updated design 2001 or so.... Some time around then.