I just bought a 2006 BMW 750li 90k miles. The dealer regular gas instead of premium. Half way home car was smokin out tail white. They said its the gas gotta burn out. Is this right? Im so pissed.

10

Asked by Dec 06, 2014 at 10:43 PM about the 2006 BMW 7 Series 750Li

They said since only alittle gas was in
it...go ahead and put premium and give
few days and should go away. Never
heard of this.

7,880

White smoke should be water vapor. Go to the tail pipe and hold either a mirror (glass) or your hand close to the exhaust plume. The glass or your hand should get the condensate confirming what you are seeing is water vapor. Sounds like the car sat for a while and water condensed in the gas. It should be just a small amount (normal in cold weather) after a couple tanks of gas

Best Answer
10

Tom. Thank you do much for responding. I was so upset because you can only imagine leavin a lot and feeling you got a good car and now your smokin and people lookin at you. I noticed it while sittin in a drive thru. Oh on top of that it had no oil in it. Barely showed a drop. I took it o Auto Zone and they checked it and couldt believe it. I called te lot and went iff and went back and they gave money back for oil Ipaid for.

7,880

The power of the internet can be awesome when it's used to make these crooks do the right thing. Most cities have feedback sites, Google "car dealers ratings" then let the SOB have it with bad feedback if he fails to be honest

105

White smoke is definitely water vapor. Regular gas will only give premature detonation and pinging. Switch to 91 octane gas or add K44 to clean out the system.

105

White is definitely water vapor. Gas should be 91 octane. Use K44 additive once every couple of months. Will keep the injectors and system clean. If the water out the tail pipe is excessive then you have a major issue - head gasket would be my guess.

135

When I was writing service for BMW this was one of the most problematic cars from BMW. Make no mistake this car requires 93 octane fuel. I hope you have an extended warranty. To do repairs on this car will tax the most hearty of wallets. It is a very glitched prone car. Do yourself a favor get out of this car as soon as you can. But if you have a deep wallet and can put up with its quirky issues, that can leave you stranded, you have found your car. I use to cringe when I answered the phone and the customer would inform me that their 750 just quit in the middle of nowhere.

10

Thank you for your advise. Due to a messed up situation I was in with an ex I am on 2 open loans and one behind and no one would work with me. This place did and I thought with only 90k I was gettin a good deal. Then they are sayin I cant get my deposit back. But I have a 15 day warranty. I will be going back Tuesday because they promised me an alignment now and wanna checkout the smoke. I have cussed the whole car lot out so now just workin with the owner. But I just want a good classy car.

135

By chance and though I doubt - Did this car come from a BMW franchised dealer?

10

No...a smaller car lot thats deals with people with issues. Smh!

135

Lets say you can't extricate yourself from this car. Get the best AAA Membership you can get. My membership has 200 miles of free towing - you will need that.With that membership your eligible to get in one one if their extended warranty plans. Do get a extended warranty on this car. Their are many warranty plans out there. CAUTION: READ THE FINE PRINT on what is covered and what is not. How much of a deductible you can afford. Talk with your local BMW dealer and ask them what extended warranty companies they work with. One time or another it will need dealer service. I don't know on this car what BMW has released in regards to programming and most independent shops just do not have the advanced computer systems to properly diagnose the fault codes. I wish you the best of luck, protect yourself now is the end game.

10

I actually can return the car but loose my down payment. It wasnt huge...but huge enough. But I am going tomorrow to have them look at it again and they will send to the mechanic.

7,880

Would they allow you to credit your down payment to another car? When you think about it ... the only issue that has you upset is the Vapor in the exhaust ( I think) .... You could have a decent car ... not saying you do but up to this point the exhaust issue seems to be resolved. Tell him that if he really believes the car is as claimed ... he should give you a longer warranty

135

There are 3 pages of recall, defect and service bulletins on this car. Check wuth your local BMW of any outstanding recalls that need to be done. Recalls are performed free of charge at BMW Franchise dealers. Supply them with vin number and they can check history of this car.

10

I really appreciate all you guys help. I just called bmw and thry said $149 for a diagnostic. Thay would make me feel bettee knowing what route to go with this but I was scared it would be 200/ 400 just to do it.

135

When I was writing service the diag., time was $129.00 so at todays prices I would say it is a correct price. Also they are mandated to do all recalls on this car free of charge regardless if in warranty or not. They also can pull up all service history on this car and request that as well.