Which is cheaper valve stem replacement or new engine for BMW 750LI

Southernjag93
110

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 05:57 PM about the 2006 BMW 7 Series 750Li

I've experienced a problem with my BMW 750li of white smoke coming out the tail pipe
during start up or idle.  I've had it looked at and quoted $6500 for valve stem job among
other repairs needed. Is it an alternative to this repair which appears pretty extreme.

how many miles to you have on this buggy? more than 250,000....well that would make sense, if the interior is excellent yet and the paint's still okay would price out one from Yahoo motors 'cause they take into account mileage and let you comparison shop, so if at 2006 is what you've got could look for other 2006's to see if yours compares, and possibly ring this one up and by another one that had it's oil changes on time~

If you have an excellent repoire with your motor rebuilding guy, ask him for a better deal, perhaps pay himself $25/hour instead of the conventional $45/hr for what is, head removal top end rebuild, yes $1000 worth of wrench time, but perhaps with all new parts....6000 seems extreme to me~

Best Answer
Southernjag93
110

This auto has 133,000 miles on it. Bought it from a friend for $8,000 cash. I knew of some of the issues the car had and figured getting those fixed I would have a nice second car. This is by far the most costly. It's a shame because the car looks great for its age and mileage.

dang it Southern, you have to have it fixed, if this is the case, so often there are disreputable characters in the repair business...if you could find a "word of mouth" friend who has something like one of these and knows the shop to have the major stuff done, this sounds like a cut- and-dry major service, perhaps we will not know until it's stripped apart...maybe only a few components need replacement...you don't want a shop that wants to go "Whole Hog" on you~ please note the thin-ness of your credit card before assessing the job~ get someone who's creatively simple about stuff, not replacing things that don't need replacement and has the smarts to tell you so~

wouldn't it be something if it were a simple oil return port that had an obstruction...a candy wrapper, a soda lid or something got sucked into and is now an obstruction, could be removed with a tweezers....that would be nice~

mrmoony
2,940

How much oil do you add between changes?

Southernjag93
110

Just bought this auto at a cash price. From what I see its still full of oil, and from underneath it is not leaking either. It has only been driven a couple hundred miles since I purchased. I had it checked out and along with the valve stem they found transmission pan leak, both upper timing case gaskets, alternator housing gasket. I guess that's why I paid only $8000 for the car.

87,045

Good question on the oil consumption. It could be more cost effective to drop in a quart of oil every so often than rebuild. I'm a little concerned with the white smoke. I've always heard of blue smoke from oil burning. White smoke from coolant... You know best, you are the one topping it off.

1Delone
60

tenspeed has the right answer. Listen to him. If you spend that kind of money on the engine, you are going to have to drive it for many years to get your money back out of it.

a headgasket can be mended, let's hope it's not cracking of the cast parts~

Southernjag93
110

Thank you all for your responses. This is my first experience with BMW's. This is a beautiful car and I just want to be able to enjoy it.

Wayne Bowman
60

Hey i jus gt the 08 750li and thr guy at the dealer told me tht 02 thru 07 was hving a problem smoking and over the years n BMW was trying to fix this problem. He told me the 08 suppose the be the year they finally work it out so will i have that problem with my car it has 72941 miles on it. And also i gt 2 year extended warranty on the motor.

johmmy
40

I have a 2006 BMW 750i. Bought it new. It now has 144,000 miles on it. At around 130,000 miles, the car would smoke from the tailpipe whenever I was stopped at a light, or in a long line (like at a tollbooth). I tried oil additives. I was putting in oil every 300-500 miles. And you could actually smell burning oil when outside the car. Finally, dealer told me I needed valve stem seals and quoted me a price of $9,700.00. I thought that seemed high. The overall condition of my car is excellent, and the car has been well cared for, with mostly highway miles. So I looked at the cost of a new 750i ($95,000.00), considered that my youngest child has not finished her education (she's in law school $49,000 annually) and decided to get the repair. Dealer reduced the quoted price to $7,400.00. I agreed and just got the car out of the shop 2 days ago. Wow. Its like driving a brand new car. The engine compression has been restored, with no smoking, and the car accelerates like a rocket. Its a major repair so I felt more comfortable with the dealer performing the service. Considering its basically an upper engine rebuild, the cost seemed reasonable. Now I feel that I'll get 200,000 miles out of the car. But no more V-8s. That smoking problem mostly plagues V8s. My next car will be the BMW 535 diesel. Diesel engines easily get several hundred thousand miles.

I can do this job for $2800. The dealership is waaaaay overpriced and they do it the easy way without pulling the engine. The reason it cost so much is because they charge you over $4,000 for the labor alone. The engine is supposed to be pulled and the heads pulled off to do the valve stem seals, but you don't have to.

Raja916
110

Hi James. I have 07 750li and it needs valve stem seals. So you could do the job for $2800? Which city are you In?

NewyorkB
30

James I have a 2007 750Li and I seem to have the same problem. Are you located in the NYC area?

Stevie Dickson
40

Then there was Silence. LOL. I have the same problem. If this guy is serious and qualified, drop me an email at Waco_game@yahoo.com

Southernjag93
110

Even if you purchase another engine there is no guarantee you won't have the same problem eventually. I just put cash towards a new 2014..

Stevie Dickson
40

Thanks Southernjag93 ; however, Im purchased this vehicle as an investment, to buy and resale. I need to get it in good condition and sell it. But again, thanks for the response. I can get an used engine with 76k miles for only $2700. Although, I bet the labor for an engine replacement its not cheap. It may be comparable. Plus, i would have the old engine which would be worth a little bit. Hummmm...

Southernjag93
110

I'm located in Texas and I was quoted around $4000 for labor on and engine install. Good luck..

Stevie Dickson
40

Im in Waco, Texas. What a coincidence!! Okay. Have a good night!

I'm in Georgia in the Atlanta area. I don't get on here much. I can still do the valve stem seals if you would like. My email is veritas579@yahoo.com

Dikaloa
30

I have a similar problem with my car. Any mechanic I'm dc/va area to do this work cheaper than dealer.

Dikaloa
30

I have a 750li

Dikaloa
30

I am in Virginia. I need someone to fix valve stem seal on 760li . Please contact me marielngem@gmail.com.

lilsexxy
0

I'm in Milwaukee area. Need valve stems covers for BMW 750li. hurricanesexxy@gmail.com

Romzy
10

James I emailed you. I am also in Atlanta. Can you reply to my email

Ken Taylor
15

I AM IN THE NORFOLK VA AREA AND I AN THINKING OF BUYING THE KIT AND DOING THE SEALS MYSELF. ANYONE ELSE NEED THIS DONE WANT TO GO HALF ON THE KIT?

Stevie Dickson
40

I possibly would. But, I sold my BMW. Was tired of fooling with it.... I dont see way a vehicle that cost so much should have such a common problem thats so costly

Hey ken, what kit are you referring to

tywilson
10

Hey James, I emailed you also cause I'm having the same problem and wanted you to look at my BMW I have an 07 with 115,000 and I need valve stem seals they quoted me 5,500. Seeing that you can do it way cheaper would be great! Please email me and let me know tyanna_r@yahoo.com

tnjones
0

Hi James I emailed regarding 04 745LI white smoke from tail pipe would like for you to repair. Please contact me @ tahara_jones@yahoo.com thanks in advance.

Miguel_bravo000
0

JAMES auto zone told me that a metal waterhose that goes with the valve stem job is worth about $1,300 ... Is that true?

Miguel. I am not sure what water hose your are referring to. There is a water pipe that runs from the front of the engine to the back underneath the intake manifold. It is very labor intensive to replace unless you use the two piece aftermarket pipe. I don't see why it would be included in a valve stem seal job.

De'Loreen Martin
0

In Cleveland Ohio can someone please fix my valve !!!! quoted me 6100.00

Fullert650
0

Anyone knows of a repair person in the Southern California area..? Please let me know. Fullert650@yahoo.com

chojones
0

I'm in Tampa fl can anyone help me

chojones
0

I have the same problem in my 05 745i needs help asap

chojones
0

At corriejones38@Gmail.com

NTNY750i
30

Hello . . . I had a similar issue with my '06 750 - smoke upon start-up and during long idling times (such as at a toll booth). It got to the point I was adding two to three quarts of oil between oil changes. Figuring this was a valve seal problem, one of my mechanics suggested using a product called Lucas Oil Conditioner(I believe this was the name) hoping this was a "stuck" seal issue. After several quarts, we decided this was not the right product to use. Then I discovered that Lucas makes product called Engine Oil Stop Leak. I tried this product and my oil consumption stopped completely. Even after the next oil change, the oil level remained at the "full" mark for thousands of miles. I was ecstatic - but before I could monitor the car any longer, I traded it in for a newer vehicle. I am not suggesting this as a "cure-all" but for $12.00 it was worth a shot. In my case it paid off.

Alain Dargham
10

I have a mechanic that does this in SoCal if anyone has this problem. Charges about half what dealers charge. Email me if you need it. He's a BMW mechanic at a dealership in Irvine for the last 14 years.

Alain Dargham
10

Email me at adargham@gmail.com

Repair_it
20

agatools.com sells the tools to change the valve seals for $841.00. Look it up on YouTube on how to do the job. Don't take it to the stealership!

Karl Day
0

I've never heard of oi causing white smoke. White is caused by coolant but oil causes blue smoke. A car sitting at idle will tend to suck oil around the valve seals into the cylinder or cylinders. The oil burns resulting in blue smoke out the exhaust upon acceleration. White smoke is most often caused by coolant leaks into the cylinders from a bad head gasket. My observation is that a used BMW is like an Italian wife. When all is well, they are a delight. When things start going south, they are an expensive pain in the rear. A service rep at a local dealership told me he would never own a BMW that was out of warranty. You may afford the purchase but in time you won't be able to afford the upkeep. My choice these days is a Jap car. Not too plush but 100 percent reliable.

Repair_it
20

Hi Karl, I like the analogy of the Italian wife...LMAO. I have a 2008 750li that had the same issue of "white" smoke. I initially thought it was coolant, but it wasn't consuming coolant and there was no antifreeze odor coming out the tailpipe. I replaced the valve seals and no more smoke. I'm not sure why the smoke was white; perhaps the catylatic converters have something to do with it. Take a look at this YouTube video and let me know what you think; it even shows the white smoke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YacOx2ydMbl&sns=em Or you can simply type N62 & N62-tu in the search field and it's the first video in the list. Also, I had Nissan Maxima (Jap car). Most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. No vehicle is 100% reliable!

Ken Taylor
15

i am located in portsmouth va 23704 and thinking of buying the kit to do my valve stem seals. anyone local to me that wants to off set my cost by paying part and we can do your car too

Johnny English
0

Hi i am in Jacksonville fl and the BMW shop qouted me 3200 to do the vavle stem seals.....

Lifeisabeach1181
0

I have 2011 and all they did was replace the EGR. It's from oil getting traped in the exhaust. Simple!

Chadwick750
0

Does anyone have an feedback on just replacing the seals and not doing the complete head work?

Repair_it
20

Type N62 & N62-tu in the YouTube search field. Select the first video and read the comments. Many have changed only the seals, including myself. Valve guides weren't worn. No reason to pull the heads or remove the timing chain on my 750li.

NTNY750i
30

Four months ago I wrote about the success I had using an oil additive in my '06 - 750i to combat oil loss. I now have a '12 - 750i that used a quart of oil between oil changes. I started using the Lucas Oil Stop in this vehicle. I had an oil change two weeks ago and added the oil stop before embarking on a 2000 trip. After the 2000 miles the level still shows "full." I hope this helps my '12 as it did my '06. Disclaimer: I do not endorse any product. I am only letting you know what has worked for me up until this point.

Chadwick750
0

While I have used additives in the past in some of my cars, Slick 50 in Chevies, I struggle to add anything to my oil for the bmw. I have increased the oil viscosity to 0-40w and the smoking has stopped, at least for the first 2 days so far. I guess the question is how worn do the valve guides need to be to warrant the head removal versus just replacing the seals.

Chadwick750
0

oh and btw the 750Li only has 115k miles on it.

Repair_it
20

Changed the seals in my 750Li at 99k.

Chadwick750
0

just the seals? no issues with the valve guides?

Repair_it
20

That's correct, no issues with the valve guides.