Convertible roof will not go down (stops halfway!)

10

Asked by Mar 06, 2012 at 06:05 PM about the 2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci

Purchased used bmw 325ci with 16,000 miles.  Top worked when I purchased but broke about a month later  Had
repaired twice (by different garages).  Works for 2 to 3 weeks then breaks again.  Goes about halfway down then
stops.  Any ideas what the problem is and how it can be fixed?  Can't afford to soak money into it with no results yet
love the car and naturally, want to enjoy the convertible.  Thanks for any input!

605

Share what the repair orders listed as to what they fixed. List parts.

135

Are you holding the button until it is complete?If I stop mine before it completes the cycle I have trouble getting it to go again

10

Yes, I do hold both buttons down during the process. To explain further... I took the car to 2 garages. The one replaced some sort of relay (located in the trunk). Sorry, I do not have a part number. Can tell you it cost approximately $200.00! It worked for about 2 weeks (at best) and stopped again. Took it back and they told me it must be an electrical problem (a relay) but, after waiting for a part for a month, they finally told me they could not get it in and would not be able to fix it. Basically, they washed their hands of it and did say that if they had replaced the relay and it still stopped working there would be no guarantees. By the way, this is a garage that specializes in BMW's. The second garage I took it to said it was a hydraulic problem which would be very costly to fix. They too said there would be no guarantees. Took it to a 3rd garage for price comparison. They did not try to fix it, but they did look at it ($100.00 later!) and told me they do not think it's a hydraulic problem. They said if it was an hydraulic problem then it would not work at all. Also, please note that if it sits for a couple of months without trying to put the top down, then it will work the first time. But when you have to put the roof back up then try a day or week later it does not work again. Weird!!!! Last Note: When we first got the car my husband was cleaning it and stopped the roof halfway down (don't have any idea why!!!) but my son seems to think that may have something to do with the problem now. Any feedback anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I LOVE the car, but don;t have a lot of money to keep soaking into the roof without actually fixing it. And who wants a convertible whose roof doesn't go down?!? Thank you again for any help/advice you can give me.

135

You know there is a release to work it by hand sounds like its hydraulic to me I would take it to a BMW dealer and ask them for an estimate on repairs rather than letting other shops guess with your money

push the max window closer button up and down whilst pressing the open roof button it should activate the censers reverse this proses to close