I have a clacking noise coming from under the my 2006 Cadillac STS4. What is that and was does it mean? I think it's the trans or the axle but I don't know.

50

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM about the 2006 Cadillac STS V8

I have a clacking noise coming from under the my 2006 Cadillac STS4. What is that and
was does it mean? I think it's the trans or the axle but I don't know.

typically this sound is associated with a CV joint that has a split boot, lost all it's grease and starts complainin'~ if the sts4 is a RWD will have to rethink my answer, but would be related to movin' parts like your brake rotor for example...but if it's a 4WD, like I suspect it is then your drive axles probably need to be replaced with rebuilt ones (not TOO much money that way)~

50

That sound only comes when I do a hard acceleration and only last for a hot second.

the grease (what's left of it) works it's way into the moving parts....go under there with a phillips screwdriver and poke at the boots...you'll see splitting and loss of grease...now how long it can go like that?...a long time~

50

You Sir, are the MAN! Thank you.

when it starts to sound like a helicopter comin' down the road, the cost will be exactly the same if you're gonna be fussy about it and do it now or take the hillbilly anything can happen to it at anytime approach (live and let live approach)~

50

Okay, thank you again.

incidentally you are quite wecome...haven't really felt the LOVE here...this is a strictly voluntary effort on my part, but there seems to be a never ending flow of car problems for us to uncover~ you may have marked it "most helpful" don't get a lot of those~ keep drivin' it...until you can't drive it no more....a fresh cabin filter, good vacuum and spotless cleaning of the windows will refresh with the excitement of a new car again...I know, my mini mechanic treats it with respect, vacuums every last detail and makes the white wheels white again....alas, fresh car....life is good if you're lookin' for the good~

Best Answer

thanks~

10

trade that thing in next it will be the timing belt like me. those cars have 3 recalls on them please make sure you get them done. I had to replace the rocker arm, throttle body box, and now the timing belt. don.t get caught like I did with that car I am guest saying. another lady had the same car as you and I and took hers to the dealer for everything and one day the car cut off and would not start. she gave hers back and had to pay 3,000. please read up on that car. I am giving mines back and I owe 17,000. don't know what they will charge me but I can not pay for a car that I can not drive.

...whoa. 17 grand is a chunk-0-change....please start another question....this is Alfredo's gig~ DO not know which car...no refererence...a picture and description of the initial concern here~ please, want to help...let's take this into our own gig now~ want to read up...it isn't Alfredo's car....see my confusion~~~