Front passenger side CV axle can pop out by hittting a pothole real hard?

20

Asked by Feb 15, 2016 at 01:02 PM about the 2000 BMW 3 Series 330xi

While I was on road, this guys was yelling and trying to pull me over because my front passenger side wheel was wobbling bad. we parked on the side of road, he drove my car back and forth and show me what it was doing. the wheel was not rotating straight and swaying left and right. Then he told me that CV joint broke off and it could happen by hitting the pothole or driving over curve. He said he can pop it back in with some tool he had in his car and with my help by steeling wheel left and right slowly as he directed. Finally, he got in my car, drove a few feet, slammed on break to pop it in. I checked the wheel right after and the wheel was rotating straight. I'm thankful that he stopped and helped me out, because I was about to get on freeway, but I can't help to wonder if it was a legitimate fix or not and safe to drive. Is it possible that outer axle pop out from wheel? there was no leakage, so no damage on boot I think. Should I take it to a shop?

5,635

No - you need to have it replaced - definitely take it to a shop asap

5,045

yes...examine the control arms for damage to the bushings~ axle has a c-ring that is a little tricky to install...a repairman may let it float on into the oil (by mistake, of course) with a magnet has to retrieve that or have severe difficulties with the tranny...it's NOT easy to change an axle...expecially without a mechanics lift...a lot of pushing and wiring of brake lines out of the way and a ball peen hammer may have to be used...not an easy repair...need a ton of examination post trauma~ would walk away....sell the car~

5,635

bob_nueske - do you actually try to help people here or just talk for no reason? If they guy wanted to get rid of his car, he wouldn't be here asking questions. I read a lot of your replies and they just don't seem factual,. I'm not trying to start problems with you but please try to remember people are her asking for help for people that actually want to help them. That's why most of us take the time to share our knowledge

5,045

it will never be the same, Mstamps....and you know it~ yes I recommend "ditch the bitch" is that so bad? this is a free forum, so take it to an expert and with lazer and porta-power can put things right again...this will cost a lot of $$$ to put right again...so I stick by my assessment~ there are smarter ways to deal with this~

5,635

Its a mechanical object - all things mechanical can be repaired Bob - I didn't spend many years in the business telling people - "oh just dump it because its broken". - people become attached to there vehicles, a failed axle shaft is a minor repair - could be a little costly on a BMW but still - minor

5,635

Bob - I have always wanted to ask you this though - have you ever heard of Nueske's bacon? by far the best around. I wondered if you were related in any way? but hey, if you are not or haven't heard of them - give them a try, delicious http://www.nueskes.com/shop-by-department/smoked-bacon.aspx#.VsIYBZr2bug

20

Thank you so much guys. very helpful. It's been driving ok, there is no noise or leakage, but yes, i'll take it to my shop. But, it is possible that the outer axle pops out of wheel, yes? I don't know how, but he knew how to pop it back in. I'm also worried that it was all delusional, and I just got hustled, cuz I did give him a little money. Sorry for the rookie questions. Obviously, I'm ignorant about cars.

5,635

Bob was actually correct about a c-clip that holds it all together.... My guess would be that that part has definitely failed that's allowing the axle to come apart. So I would recommend having it looked at by a professional. Safety is the most important thing

5,045

you know, I walked away out of frustration...knowing that a simple pot-hole can TOTAL a vehicle~ may not seem so, but when on the freeway at 65 and the car swims or wants to swim one way or the other, it's like NO amount of money will be able to fix that~ that is why the "previously salvaged" moniker appears on titles~ have seen awful cars ones that were welded together out of two different cars...yes that actually exists~ a Terrible occupation for people...cannot recommend the car repair business...guess it's better then a rendering plant where dead and dying things dominate your day~ thank you MStamps, I have MS, in Clearlake Park, I have NO friends on weekends my wife comes from her Berkeley apartment but is Maddening just having you knowledgeable chaps as me mates~ yes, I need help, and hello again~

5,045

Bob Nueske~

5,635

Bob, I was serious when I asked about the Nueske's Bacon - any relation? Have you ever heard of Nueske's bacon? By far the best around.

5,045

@ kimibop, please get the vehicle aligned...like I say the control arms are mounted to squishy rubber things like a letter A where the feet of the A are tied to your chassis...these mean trouble if not tended to~ again LAZER (futuristic) aligment is going to help you stay on the road...good luck...sorry I suggested abandonment of the problem~ my bad~ :(

20

yes, I'll take in and talk to my mechanic what you two mentioned. Thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions. really appreciate it. craving bacon now