Oil leak

10

Asked by Jan 01, 2017 at 01:03 PM about the 2006 Cadillac SRX V6 RWD

My SRX looses about a quart of oil every 750 miles or so. No leak under
car no black smoke out tail pipe. GM wants me to just replace engine.
They say there is no way to find the leak??

120,525

It probably is not leaking but burning the oil. One quart in 750 miles won't necessarily make the car smoke. If you can remember to check the oil level every week you could keep driving it for quite a while. A new engine will cost you about what your car is worth now. You don't say what oil you are using but you might want to try going to a heavier grade.

121,455

Si if there is no external then it must be burning it. The engine manufacturer states that you can burn up to a quart in 600 miles before anything needs done, so a lot of things can cause and engine to burn oil, rings valve seals, worn cylinder walls, etc. There are a few products out there that can help for a while but eventually you will need to do something with it, my favorite is called Restore, you just put it in with the engine oil, some engines I have noticed a reduction in oil consumption within the first 500 miles, others have gone up to the next scheduled oil change with another can of restore but then they also started to show signs of improvement, now this will not cure oil consumption but it can slow it down so you will still need too keep tabs on the oil level.

81,505

I guess they never heard of putting a dye in the oil, have you drive it for a week or so, bring the vehicle back, and use an ultraviolet light to find the leak!! Sounds to me like they either don't want to be bothered with it or someone is looking for money to pay for Christmas!! I'd strongly recommend a second opinion! Since the manufacturer says 1 quart per 600 miles is normal I'd say you're ok. Personally I think that kind of oil consumption is excessive. I've never had a vehicle, new or old, use more than 1 quart in between oil changes (every 3,000 miles)! HTH. -Jim

10

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic 5/30. I had no idea you could put dye in then check for leaks. What a great idea. It's a 2006 but I just flipped over to 83,000 miles. So I'm not really looking to get rid of the car. Thanks those are all great ideas.

120,525

I would switch to 10W-40 and see how that works. The dye is UV so you need a black light to see the leaks.

81,505

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

121,455

83000 miles you should not be consuming that amount of oil unless something has failed. Other things to check is the PCV system, the valve, hoses and fresh air intake tubes, a cylinder leak down test could prove if the rings are at fault, I guess it could be valve guide and seals but never seen them go this quick in a Caddi engine, unless it has been very neglected.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

No neglect, everything done on time by the book. Tennis shoes you have ideas to try.. The dealership has none. Just take apart or replace engine.

121,455

Thanks for the points. Stealerships want to maximize profits and there is a lot to be made for both the shop and the parts department by selling you a new engine and then let a newbie do the work so they won't have to pay him the going flat rate. So stay away from the dealerships as much as possible, there are really good independent shops out there and most are ASE certified, so you windup getting more bang for your buck and as they want to stay in business and have a good reviews locally they treat the customer right.

10

This mechanic in IL, near CHGO does Northstar gaskets very cheap and rebuilds them. Joe 847-776-7633. People come from surrounding states for him to do the work; call him he knows a lot about Cadi's.