Different tire size.

20

Asked by Dec 31, 2015 at 12:16 PM about the 2006 Cadillac SRX V6

I have 235/65R 17 tires on the front and 255/60R 17 on the rear , from the factory . I originally got 57K on the set from the factory .  I bought the same Michelin tire as replacements .  At 22K the rears were 90% gone , the fronts still showed over 75% . The dealer said he would stand behind Michelins warranty but I had to replace all four at a cost of $625. The original  cost was $1025. I said BS , the fronts are fine , but he would only change all four under warranty .   My question is , can I put the same size tire on the rear as the front with no damage ?

72,195

Not sure on the same size since it came from factory like that, But the rear end of the car may need alignment..

69,655

Is your car AWD? If so you need the same size tire front and back. I checked the owners manual and you need the same size tires front and back. The dealer was an idiot if they gave you two different sized tires.

69,655

To get the best mileage out of your tires you need to rotate them side to side and front to back which is recommended in the owners manual. You can only do this when the tires are all the same size.

69,655

From the owners manual ----- Mixing tires could cause you to lose control while driving. If you mix tires of different sizes, brands or types (radial and bias-belted tires), the vehicle may not handle properly, and you could have a crash. Using tires of different sizes, brands or types may also cause damage to your vehicle. Be sure to use the same size, brand, and type tires on all wheels. Your vehicle may have a different size spare than the road tires (those originally installed on your vehicle). When new, your vehicle included a spare tire and wheel assembly with a similar overall diameter as your vehicle’s road tires and wheels, so it is all right to drive on it. Because this spare was developed for use on your vehicle, it will not affect vehicle handling.

20

It is AWD and those tires came on the car from the factory . There is even a sticker on the door stating the two different tire sizes . I had the alignment checked and it is fine .

69,655

If you say so..................

350

Many of the CTS models have different size front vs rear. The wear that you experienced is definitely NOT normal. You should contact the Michelin representative in your area. I'm confident that they will stand behind their warranty and not require you to replace the still good front tires. To top it off, if you buy directional tires, you can't put them on the opposite side, so then there's no possibility of rotation (as on my 1998 BMW Z3). I have had some interesting mixed results regarding wear with Michelins. They are the best tires on the market, but when I bought tires from a particular store, I got less than half the miles that I did on the previous set. Call your Michelin rep, or even go to the Michelin website and contact them to see about the warranty.

40

I just bought a 2009 SRX and had to have the front tires replaced. The sticker on the side of the door said it takes 255/60/R18s on front and 235/55/R18s on the rear. This is what it comes with from the factory. Yes, I realize these CANNOT be rotated like this. As for the "must all be the same size for AWD", that all depends. The reason for this is so that the front and rear shafts are turning at the same speed when going straight. However, it the manufacturer changed the gearing in the front differential to compensate for the different sized tires then the drive shafts will be turning at the same speed with the factory tires. I'm guessing that lots of people second guess the manufacturer and put the same size tires on the front/rear, and if the differential gearing is set up for the different sized tires (as I suspect it is), then it would explain why people have issues with the transfer case chain or the rear differential.

72,195

Good answer Mayhem8...

10

Actually 235/65R17 are the same dia. as 255/60R17. they are both 29" dia. the 255's are just wider for the back of the vehicle, so it would be ok to have the same size tires all around.