2006 DTS Cadillac ran out of gas now it won't crank!

30

Asked by Feb 06, 2015 at 02:19 PM about the 2006 Cadillac DTS Luxury

My son ran out of gas but kept cranking the motor until the battery drained. We checked
the battery, charged it up, but now the motor won't even crank.
All power works no dash warning lights. We are stumpted and could use some input
please! Thanks and be well! : )

If a battery is 100% drained, it's likely ruined. Auto batteries are not "Deep Cycle" designed for being drained. Especially if the battery is of any age, more than 3-4 years. Sure, it will have enough amperage and voltage to light dome light, chimes, but not near enough to start car. But do NOt GO OUT AND BUY A BATTERY on my say-so before having it load tested

Extended cranking , without pause, will also burn up a starter. Got to thinking. A difficult-to-start car should be cranked for no more than 6 to 8 seconds, then pause, allow starter motor to cool, cables to cool, battery to 'recover'. It take a tremendous amount of amperage at13-14 volts to crank an engine. Cables, solenoids, all get hot. VERY hot

Far be it for me to pass judgement..but hopefully your son learned from his mistake. That's how I learned many things, the hard (expensive) way.....and that my friend is going under the assumption that I even made the correct call here...but I stand by it

30

Many thanks for your responses! The battery was load tested and it passed. Someone said it could be the starter selenoid is still engaged and to hit it a couple of times and try to disengage it. We also checked the ECU fuse but it checked out ok. We do not even get a clicking sound so I think it is the starter!

30

replaced the battery today also a relay that was unrelated to problem. Still does not crank. Just a single click from the rear fuse box under back seat. Weird.

Did you ever figure out the problem? Having the same issues