How to change the clock spring

145

Asked by Apr 07, 2014 at 09:04 AM about the 2005 Ford Freestar SE

I've bought a clock spring and would like to change the part myself. Can someone supply
me with the exact steps to replace the unit on the steering column for a 2005 Ford
Freestar. I've found a youtube video but the steps don't work on my car. Thanks for your
help. Bill.

20,965

a clock spring? wow- just jump in the deep end there- I have no idea- is this a trick question?

145

no, not a trick question. This is the name of the circular part under the steering wheel that is used to transfer signals from the steering wheel to the airbag, horn, radio & cruise control.

223,035

Here is a generic repair procedure, best to get a Freestar service manual....http://www.ehow.com/how_6956423_replace-clock-spring.html...I personally don't like working around airbags, but that's just me.

145

I've read that link and tried to apply the steps on a freestar at the junkyard...figured it was best to practice on something else first. I removed the trim cover on the steering column where the ignition switch was but could not find any other screws to undo behind the steering wheel. Because it was a junker, I even took a crowbar to the plastic housing on the steering wheel and still had no luck getting anything to pry off. I'm usually pretty handy around a car but the steering wheel stumps me.

145

So, went to my cousin's garage this weekend and we managed to change the clock spring. The procedure was quite lengthy. There are 2 tabs on the side of the steering wheel, pop these off. Then stick a flat edge screwdriver in one of the holes and press on a thin black wire, this will release one edge of the airbag. Repeat for the other side and airbag pops off. The only other spot the confused me was a little metal clip slips in against the ignition switch. Not necessary to pop off the ignition switch, just pry up on black ring and slip the metal contact into place. Took me 2.5 hours but I should be faster at it next time.