I have a 2011 335i with 100000 and I have had the 100000 with factory and other things done.

Asked by Aug 30, 2016 at 12:27 AM about the 2011 BMW 3 Series 335i Convertible

Will doing oil changes and maintaining other checks keep
my wonderful BMW going for another 100000 plus?

22,315

OK, you purchased your car brand new??? And , have done all the recommended service?? What are you worried about..? Keep driving and maintaining your car.

Best Answer Mark helpful
22,315

Judging from your current mileage, you'll reach 200,000 miles in another 5 or 6 years...At 11 to 12 years, it will be the perfect time to switch to another vehicle...

Ty. I actually thought I had a battery failure and during a hail storm devastation in SA Tx I used a Master Mechanic at a local Pepboys due to dealership was overloaded. Pepboys master mechanic said it was a starter and BMW weren't as reliable because of all there plastic parts. He said their starter was better, had a better warrantee, and bought rings for it at my BMW delearship, replacing the starter. As I drove it off at the end of the day, I noticed I did not have full power. The next day, while driving, I had engine failure lights come on. I had it towed to the dealer and was told the part put in was syncing with engine. After a call yo Pepboys, assuring them I was certain they would correct this issue with the delearship, Pepboys did. I had seen my beautiful engine laying in pieces all over the oil ridden Pepboys concrete repair well and now it was being repaired at the immaculent BMW facility by a quality trained BMW senior mechanic. I now have all new intake hoses, rings, and whatever it took to repair the Pepboys mistake. With all this being said, how do you think about my vehicle's longivity?

Yes, I purchased my vehicle new and it is the best trip car andaround town car, I have owned. I get 27 to 34 miles per gallon of premium gas.

22,315

YES, take your car to an independent mechanic, who knows how to work and diagnose problems on your particular car... longevity is achieved by listening carefully to any unusual sounds in your car...I normally keep my cars past the time that they are paid for, driving years beyond car payments..This is when you really get a great return on your investment. Think of it this way, car payments typically run $400 per month or $4,800 per year. There's no way you're going to have almost $5,000 in actual repairs every year, I don't mean maintenance, every car needs maintenance, oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. SO, the next 100,000 miles, sure , you will spend money, but, when you total all the money you spend and then divide that by the total number of miles driven, you will know how much it has cost you... I have had several cars to 150,000 miles up to 200,000 miles. All I can say is you have to be tolerant of some inconvenience from time to time. Always keep your cell phone and AAA roadside assistance card close by.

Mark, Thank you for your excellent advise. Sherry

22,315

Sherry. You are very welcome... Let me just add one more thing, the best reason for upgrading your car is SAFETY and fuel economy.. These are two things that can't be easily accomplished no matter how much money you put into an older car.... first. fuel economy, even if someone handeed you $10,000, there nothing you could do to say double the mileage of your car from 27 to 52 mpg like a stock built Prius. And, the new cars with stereo cameras built-in for automatic braking as the new Subaru Eyesight technology...that is the next step towards "driverless cars".... all of this is coming and cars are getting much safer...So, as cool and as financially appealing as it is to be driving an older car that has no car payments, at some point, your personal safety will outweigh the benefits and you'll want a newer safer car! It's not an image thing, but a safety issue. Self driving cars are going to revolutionize driving and a lot of people are going to fight this ....I may never see this, but, there will come a day when you won't be able to purchase a car that you drive yourself and make all the decisions. Self driving cars will become the standard cars of the future with computers making all the driving decisions and routes for you, so, no hot rodding teen ager will be able to do burn outs and drive like yahoo's.... driving will change. Insurance companies may allow some people to continue driving older cars, but, you will have to pay a super premium for doing so. Computers don't do burn outs and drive recklessly, only people do this... It's going to be a different world...so, enjoy driving your car as long as you can....

Mark, I am on the same page and asking myself these questions. Do I sell mine while it is almost new with all the recent work and use this towards a Prius V? I bought the BMW for performance and traveling and I have been exceptionally happy with my vehicle. However, I am not sure I want any car payments and this leads to what I would like in the Prius V, plus, the warrantee, etc.

22,315

Sherry, we have a 2009 Toyota Prius; it's a great car. We got it brand new in 2009, and currently have 69,000 miles on the car.... OK, just a few things you need to know and this might not happen to you... We replaced the first set of original tires around 34,000. We took the car across country and I didn't want to have any issues... Then, at 60,000 miles, the right front wheel bearing went bad and replaced it under our extended warranty, but, I was surprised it happened.. The car seemed ride rough on pavement and discovered that the struts and shocks were bad causing the tires to flatten out , known as cupping, and we had to replace the struts and tires plus get a wheel alignment which cost a whopping $1,400 or so.... Otherwise, we have not had any problems with this car and it gets 45 to 50 miles per gallon.... Between my Subaru Outback and the Prius, the Subaru is a much more comfortable car , and actually handles better than the Prius, but, if you want a car with superior fuel economy, the Prius can't be beat! NOW, for your situation, it really depends on what you want, I've never owned a BMW, but, I've been told that after 100,000 miles they could have some expensive repairs.. someone even told me this can happen beyond 80,000 miles for BMW and Mercedes Benz cars... what's your experience been the last 20,000 miles??? Hell, it could be the same for my Subaru?? I purchased my Subaru to tow my teardrop trailer and use it mainly on longer road trips, the car is a VERY COMFORTABLE highway car... The thing is that you cannot tow anything with a Prius or Prius V.... It's interesting that the steering on our Prius doesn't have the same feeling as the Subaru, they are so different.... And, I have 80,000 miles on the Outback, original shocks/struts, no problems with tires, again different suspension.. you could sell your car and turn it around, check this link below... The only thing is, and convertible cars are beautiful, but, you realize that a new convertible top if you ever need it will cost you a small fortune..... here's a pic of my rig... I only once thought of owning a convertible car, but it's too hot where we live, top would be up too much... http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/BMW/3-Series/Convertible- 2D-335i/Values

22,315

Sherry, this is interesting, check out this website below, http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-3-Series-vs-Subaru-Legacy- reliability-comparison,13-255

22,315

And this,. again, there's no real correlation between what a car costs and how reliable it actually is...you don't always get what you paid for. http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-X5-vs-Subaru-Outback-reliability- comparison,29-253