Dashboard cover causing problems with sensor?

10

Asked by Dec 09, 2011 at 10:19 AM about the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My passenger heat went out.  Fan still works, but heard clicking sound when I turned on fan.  Turned it off, waited, turned it back on, clicking again.  Dealer has had it for 5 days, now claims that my dashboard cover is the cause of the problem.  It's covering up the sensor.....which there is a hole for.  If this were the case, then I should have had problems 6 months when I first put the cover on and during the summer months with the AC.  Not buying it.  Any ideas?

2,645

The sensor on the dash is only for inside temp to trigger the climate control when in "Auto" mode to keep it at a preset level. It would not effect the fan circuit from not working. It could be a faulty fan circuit relay, fan motor or regulator. Many fan motors have a electrical regulator with a heat sink on it help eliminate the excessive heat on the circuit. Either from a low quality part or over exposure to heat the regulator with fail then the fan motor wont work.

10

Thank you Matt. I figured it was something deeper than the just The dashboard sensor.

2,645

Unfortunately poor advice or diagnostics give other good quality technicians or mechanics a bad name. If I had a nickel for every complaint I heard from customers of poor advice from previous mech/techs... well I'd have a heavy bag of nickels ☺

10

The final verdict was the following provided by The dealership. AC control head failure. Replaced, still no heat response for passenger blend actuation (but had no fault code return). Check wiring (.3ohm). No short to voltage or ground. Swapped AC head from another vehicle still nothing. Suggest swap actuator. Still nothing. Suggested check sun sensor for adjustment. Removed dashboard cover which was blocking blend door from working properly. Heat works.

10

Matt, see the explanation. I still don't get that sensor thing. But I digress.

2,645

You may try something like this to help diagnose it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9dBYA0pGzY

10

I watched the video. Good info! I have also put my dashboard cover back on....and cut a bigger hole around the existing one by using a film canister cap so that the base of the sensor has more exposure. I still don't buy that the sensor was the problem, and even suggested the items you said that may be the cause. Supposedly, allegedly they were all checked and fine. Awaiting the clicking sound to start...again....so I am standing by to stand by. Thanks again for your assistance. Where is your money jar for some nickles?

I have the exact same problem. Passenger side heat not working, and there is this clicking sound coming from behind the climate control. So Jeeprider7, did your problem get fixed by the dealer? Im taking my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherooke Laredo in to the dealer and have them take care of this problem. I hope is cover by the warranty.

10

Not really. They claimed it was my dashboard cover that I have that caused the problem. When I asked why I had heat on one side and not the other but fan worked on both sides the answer was ,"we don't know." Apparently a piece was replaced but the clicking noise hasn't happened since. I did put my dashboard cover back on but made a bigger hole for the sensor. I'm still not convinced it was my dashboard cover. It took them 5 days to tell me "we don't know"

2,645

"Clicking sound" or sounds, are usually a relay. I'm not familiar with the newest Jeep's climate control circuits, but that is what I'd look for. Or look up the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) on your make and model to see if there was a recall, defect, or part displaying common premature failure. If so, the dealer would simply replace it. If the climate control is one complete unit or circuit board then it may be a weak soldered point that had succumbed to temperatures and or vibrations and it is not getting a strong signal or power to that part of the circuit. It would mean removing the climate control box and dismantling it to access the circuit board. Then using the appropriate soldering iron, (not gun), to re-solder the defective area. Usually people just buy a new one, if not covered under warranty, or pull one from another Jeep.

6,555

blend air door may be broke....click noise would be the accuator motor trying to find a place/point to stop at.

6,555

ive also seen the door accuator motor go bad and make a loud click noise when it hits the bad spot in the gears. door will go to end of travel, then thump,thump thump

My 2011 grand Cherokee has no heat on the passenger side after taking my truck to a dealership for oil change maybe 2 winters ago. Recently, I took it in again for a recall issue and another oil change, I got into the truck to leave, and the mysterious clicking appeared. The service man plugged something in underneath the steering column and the clicking noise went away after losing my temper when they asked me if I wanted them to write up an estimate to fix the clicking noise. They swore up and down they didn't work near the dashboard; however, later that day when I turned on the radio I noticed the time on the clock was different and the station was on the AM choice ??? Seems somewhat fishy