No warning Accelleration failure. Why isn't there a Recall?

Asked by Jun 12, 2015 at 06:06 PM about the 2011 Ford Edge SE

Since this appears to be a problem most Ford Edge owners are experiencing, myself included then Ford needs to do a recall. Else we all need to get together and file a class action suit against Ford.

I was entering the highway and was doing 55 mph and all of a sudden the Ford Edge lost power and went down to a crippling 2 mph. Pulled over and let the car sit. Mad as heck cause it scared the #### out of me.  After 15 minutes the car started back up and accelerated fine. Staying off the highway. Has happened 3 times now. No one knows what the problem is with the Ford Edge. I am damn sure Ford knows what it is and our Government too but the Government won't step in and force Ford to fix this problem. . Make Ford fix the acceleration problem everyone is having with the EDGE. And they say only Republicans are in the pockets of big business, Democrats are too. Shame on them and Ford.

61,455

Isn't modern technology just "wonderful"?! Sounds like the accelerator pedal position sensor is bad. We no longer have a cable that connects the accelerator to the engine. It's done electronically. This is not to be confused with the throttle position sensor, located on the throttle body. The accelerator position sensor is part of the accelerator pedal assembly. You'll see a box with some wires plugged into it at the top of the accelerator pedal under the dash. What I believe you're experiencing is the sensor failing. Just like in the old days if the accelerator pedal cable broke. At least if the cable broke, that was it, you were done. It was clear what had happened and could be fixed quickly, easily, and cheaply. Ah the good 'ole days! HTH. -Jim

@nursejenny Hi nurse Jenny . My Ford Edge is doing the same thing on the highway . I'm afraid for my life and that of my family. when I go to the ford dealership they keep telling me nothing is wrong. I'm afraid they are going to act on this only until someone dies or gets seriously injured. Did you get any resolution ???

I too have a 2010 Ford Edge that has stalled on 3 separate occasions and the last time I coasted to the side of the road scared to death that I would cause a major accident. The mechanic could not recreate or find the problem. Never had a vehicle do that before and I won't be keeping it.

Hi! I have seen your interesting post. It happened with me this morning. The orange Adjustable wrench just lighted up. I turned off the engine and everything was fine after that. Did you experience the same? Thank you.

I put a new battery in my 08 Ford edge and I lost my acceleration

Same thing happened with my '13 Edge (32k miles) three separate times-no common occurrences other than driving around 35-40mph and weather was nice 70 degrees in Los Angeles-just out of the blue the wrench came on, accelerator shut down and i had to "cruise" to the side of the road. I was able to turn it over immediately and the issue/wrench went away on all three times. From what I read, it appears to be a throttle body issue (like the other 1.6MM Fords that had their warranties extended - escape, etc.); however, if Ford cannot diagnose the issue they cannot fix. And once a car is "restarted" the history is lost. I brought mine into the dealership within 24 hours of this happening and they could not find the code in the history (literally within 24 hours). And since it occurs sporadically, they could not duplicate and told me to continue driving until it happens again and to bring it back. So, no resolution and am told to drive until it happens again and then they'll see if they can diagnose-regardless of the commonalities between the throttle issues other Fords were having and my experience being identical. I just hope it doesn't result in a major accident because it's very likely that it will.